Job Interviews? non LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hksginger

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So you complete your IE and then its time to get a job. What happens now? Yeah you reply to posts on the employment board with CV/resume and so on but if you're looking to work away from where you normally live (ie a completely different country, perhaps somewhere you've never dived before) are you expected to travel for a face to face interview like a "normal" job? Do you have a phone/webcam interview? Are you offered a job based on your resume alone? Whats been your experience? Are you more like a backpacker, travelling from place to place as money allows, staying for a few seasons here and there? Whats happened if you've needed a work permit - did you sort it before moving on or just 'wing' it? All stories welcome...:coffee:

Phone intervals are common after CV/email discussions. I dont know of anyone that had to travel abroad for an interview.

Its more of a backpacker lifestyle - the pay is so poor you earn just about enough to live on and generally get long hard days, no time off etc and its quite rare for people in the med at least to end up in the same place for more than one season.

As for work permits, speaking from experience in the med area - nobody bothers even though you should. Its all unofficial and cash in hand.

I know what you mean, so many unanswered questions. It goes for us guys who do the hiring too. We can usually pick out the good ones from the introduction emails and CVs for the short list. If any guy asks me for the airfare, he doesn't get a reply! Experience counts for alot, but I'm interested in the guys that have the people skills as well as diving skills. I don't penalise a new guy to the area for not knowing the sites, you pick that up really quickly and you go out with me first anyway. Hours are long, but not as long as mine! You get paid before I do! Sometimes I put accommodation as part of the package if I've managed to sign up a few guesthouse rooms pre season. last year my guys got double rooms, en suite, cable tv, air con, fridge etc. Just the place to take your Thai girlfriend home to after a hard days diving.

Back
Top Bottom