Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was my water replacement while honeymooning in Jamaica. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of the Monterey shops to certify me with private lessons in time, so when I went I was limited to the "Discover Scuba" dive that the resort offered. :(

It was my water replacement while honeymooning in Jamaica. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of the Monterey shops to certify me with private lessons in time, so when I went I was limited to the "Discover Scuba" dive that the resort offered. :(

Why are you still doing discover scuba now....
I thought you would get the idea by now and at least get your open water cert:popcorn:

They had a whole discovery channel segment on Appleton Estates, it's supposed to be the best rum in the Caribbean. I've never tried it, but it looks good!

Hi Anti Hero

Awee--was it cool anyway?

In Bali they let discover scuba divers do alot - but I don;t think we were sposto
Did 7 DSD's then signed up for a class.

Oooppss, found out that wasn't right later I show up for instruction. I didn't know -- but i sure made the OW class really easy.

What is the depth limit for discover scuba anyway?

I'll bring ya back some rice wine from Bali - but it's really aweful! Last time I couldn't give it away :shakehead:

Hi Anti Hero

Awee--was it cool anyway?

In Bali they let discover scuba divers do alot - but I dont' think we were sposto -- Did 7 DSD's then signed up for a class.

Oooppss, found out that wasn't right latr I went for instruction. I didn't know but the OW class was really easy.

What is the depth limit for discover scuba anyway?

It was amazing. After that one dive I was determined to get certified. Little did I know how cold Monterey really was in compairison. If I wanted to do additional dives they were $50 each and the certification was $360. They would let me borrow the book, LOL. The new wife didn't want to part with me for a whole two days though so I ended up passing on it at the time.

DSD is limited to a max of 40 feet but you are supposed to consider conditions and divers comfort. In the tropics 40 is probably pretty easy to manage, wouldn't say the same here. Also I don't know of any shops locally that offer it. All I am aware of is a shop in the bay area that does it in their pool.

It was amazing. .

DSD is limited to a max of 40 feet but you are supposed to consider conditions and divers comfort. In the tropics 40 is probably pretty easy to manage, wouldn't say the same here. Also I don't know of any shops locally that offer it. All I am aware of is a shop in the bay area that does it in their pool.

Is your wife certified now?

I did the DSD then just kept doing it. It was only $15 and amazing. The Tulemben Wreck in Bali. Beautiful diving.

Ahh ergh - DSD was not limited to 40ft at all :shakehead:. It's actually quite scary how some developing countries bend certification rules. I've seen it quite often.

I think he did limit the first 2 dives to 40ft. But the DM had something like 5,000 dives and did teach us almost all of the underwater skills I later learned in the OW class.

It was a sketchy thing really when I look back (knowing I didn't have any theory).

Finally a traveling western DM came through and said we needed to get certified.

Our scuba instructor wasn't happy at our "log book" :shakehead:- what could we say, we didn't know any better - and his job was pretty easy. It was one of the best shops in Bali though.

I know the shock of comming from the tropics to Monterey - I'm there now! But so psyched to be diving local. Hoping to master this DS and catch up with my tropical dive skills & start having some fun with you all soon enough!

Hey Kathy...what do you think about diving dry?

Hi there! It's quite toasty :D! I love it.

The cert class went well. Pool session was fine. Did 2 - 45 minute dives - no problem. Just plan on staying mellow 'till I feel a little more in control. I'm a bit conservative :D.

Jim said he share some tips when we go diving this tuesday. He's a sweetie!

I'm excited to be back in the water. 1.5 weeks out and getting withdraws.

Last edited:
glad to hear its going well
I can totally relate to the withdrawls...been out since the M&G. Definitely need to get back in the water over the next two weeks. I have a class on the 15-17.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom