Jetty and Boat dive reports 8/25 & 8/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The last two days of diving were more about the weather than the dives.

The Jetties 8/25/06

Friday morning was full of rain but it had cleared up around the house for a couple hours. As I was on my way and crossing the bridge I had on my left a picture postcard view of 3D clouds in a brilliant blue sky. There were low hanging puffy white clouds that seemed to be in motion as I drove by, thunderheads building in the distance, and feathery cirrus clouds high in the blue. On my right there was one dark cloud and of course it was hanging over the jetties. I parked the car at the marina and it started to drizzle. By the time I opened the back to get the gear, it was pouring. No thunder or lightening so I set up. The rain stopped by the time I was ready. I got to the water and found lots fewer people than the last couple weeks. The viz was not so great, a dirty 30'. I set the camera for macro shots and had a good time. I got out to the first anchor and stayed on the rocks watching all the fish go by. I had several curious fish swim nearby, a spade, a porgy, and a sandperch. The spade tried to use me as a reef :D. Because the fish were so friendly, I changed my mind about aborting the second dive due to viz. I finished the first dive and swapped my gear at the car. I got back to the water and needed to extend my surface interval a little so I sat on the shore for a while. Dogs are not allowed on the beach so I was surprised to see a Boston Terrier walk around me. He had on a “life preserver” and as he came back down the beach I looked at him. That’s all it took, he jumped in my lap and demanded that I pet him. I saw his name on his collar, Wally. He finished with me and started walking down the beach. His owner (who had come by boat) was in the water and called Wally. Wally walked across a couple small waves and did the doggy paddle out to his owner - cool dog. When I was ready to change tanks and hit the water again, Wally swam up to me for a last good bye. The second dive had less viz (maybe 20') than the first and the current had changed direction (headed out to the Gulf). I made it out to the anchor again but no more friendly fish. I did discover two arrow crabs - a critter that I have not seen on the jetties before. It got dark while I was on the second dive and I thought that a rain shower had gone by. Upon surfacing, I saw Wally’s owner and friend by their boat and a guy asking them if they had seen the two water spouts. It turns out that there had been one that touched the water and one that didn’t somewhere outside the pass entrance. When I got to ScubaTech for fills, they said they had seen them from the shop. Not only was I almost sucked up in a spout, I heard air leaking from both my second stages at the end of the dive. If I breathed off one second stage they both stopped leaking until pressure built up again. Steve put a gage on at the shop and, as I thought, discovered that my first stage needed to be rebuilt. Great timing since I had paid for a boat trip the next day......
Here are some pics from the jetties:

825arrowside.jpg

825hc.jpg

825porgy.jpg

825rb.jpg

825sp.jpg

825anem.jpg

Boat dives 8/26/06

I borrowed Gulf-Gulper’s regs and computer since he was going to be a bubble watcher due to his ear condition. When we got to the dock, the same battle of good and evil (sun vs rain) was going on. On one side bright sun:

826sunrise.jpg

On the other side dark clouds:

826bridge.jpg

We did get to see a rainbow again:

826rbboat.jpg

We headed East out of the pass to escape the rain. We ended up at the Hopper barge - mostly a collection of steel parts all over the ocean floor. Check out my computer dive log on this site - very cold very deep (I think this will beat any local records for depth ):

deepdive.jpg

I guess it was facing the wrong way when I hit the water - the rest of the dive recorded fine. There was a several degree change at about 50' but still warm. Vis was a yucky 20' with particles. Not much spectacular there - a few large shy angels that I chased trying to get a front shot of. There was a chunk of ship that I thought was bigger but, as I got close, the top half began to move - a huge ball of baitfish were on top of the real structure. Here are some pics:

826hopp2.jpg

826hopper3.jpg

826hoppfeath.jpg

826hoppangel.jpg

The second dive took us to the bridge rubble just outside the pass due to still threatening skies. The temp was the same 87 on top / 84 at the bottom. Viz was better, maybe a hazy 35'. Several butterflyfish, starfish, and sea urchins spiced this dive up a little. Here are some pics:

826urchpurp.jpg

826fishtree.jpg

826star.jpg

826starcl.jpg

826spades.jpg

826rubble1.jpg

826rubble2.jpg

At the end of the dive I saw a lone barracuda looking at a school of spadefish - maybe if I had more air I would have seen what happens when the lunch bell rings.
During our dive a storm did dump rain on the SeaCobra and all hands on board - I think I like my way of getting wet better.

Thanks for the report, and pictures SY. I've never been to the first site you dived on Sat, I didn't know it was even an option for ScubaTech :D

826rbboat.jpg

Pot of Gold on that boat!!

I really liked the second shot of the second boat dive, with the school of fish around the softcoral.

Must have reached the bridge rubble outside the pass after you. I think I saw the same sea urchin with the shells all over it and the same cuda. We went to the tugboat Miss Janet for our first dive.

There is a Janet further from shore than Louise.

These shots of yours Yoda, might help. I am trying to convince MDB to go on a boat. Even suggested that the group of us book a whole boat, so she isn't "crouded" with strangers. Still not going for it though. In the meantime, I have started a thread about the cartoons I do of her......

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=156183

photohikedive:
... I am trying to convince MDB to go on a boat. ...
She needs to join the Scubaholics - there are even girls in the club.

826teresa.jpg

826stcy1.jpg

scubaholics? who, what, when, where, (no need for why) and how???

oh, and how many people were there on the boat? I am guessing we could get MDB and myself, KCH, you, that makes four....

The SeaCobra is quite large, and will take more than a dozen. I dunno the minimum they require for a trip.

If you're looking for a 6pack, the SeaCobra isn't it.

SeaYoda:
There is a Janet further from shore than Louise.

Cool, I haven't been on that one yet :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom