JetFin XLs versus Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so following the wisdom of all before me on ScubaBoard, I went and bought a pair of Turtle fins (thanks C_C) for my drysuit, because my old Cressi XLs didn't fit over the attached boot. The Turtles are HUGE, as in floppy on the drysuit boots, and I'm a size 12! I'm not convinced they're the right fins for the boots. I'm thinking that they're more suitable for seperate boots that fit over a neoprene sock.

So can anyone here who's done the JetFin XL -> eBay -> Turtle maneuver :), tell me how much size difference there is between them? I don't live near a LDS to try the JetFin XLs on :rolleyes:

The turtles are just the right size for my rock boots, while I wasn't able to get the boots far enough into the XL jetfins to work. The pocket wasn't high enough, it appeared.

Thanks - looks like I'll just have to try and get hold of a pair to try on in person. The Turtles certainly have a wider pocket. Are they just wider, or deeper as well?

Same experience as metridium here...I thought the XL jets would work, nay, I PRAYED they would work. Got the rockboots and it was laughable...I could only get my toes in. Ordered turtles and problem solved. I would never dream of diving them in my wetsuit booties though...I kept the jets for wetsuit diving.

Are they just wider, or deeper as well?
I eyeballed them both and they appear to be a little bit taller, certainly wider, but don't appear to be deeper. I would measure them for you, but I don't know how to measure them in meters, BAR, or hectares...or whatever you guys use over there..

O-ring once bubbled...
I would measure them for you, but I don't know how to measure them in meters, BAR, or hectares...or whatever you guys use over there..
Over there being California? :) Inches are fine.

If you could do the pocket entrance height and width, and pocket depth from the top of the entrance to the toe, it would be great.

The turtles are certainly wider but seem to work
with certain boots and especially rockboots.

I prefer the jetfins though 'cause I still get some
side to side rocking with the turtles.

I agree about the height on the jetfins, simply
too short.

My solution was as follows:

1. convert my mobby's drysuit to latex 'socks'
kind of like the dui rockboot sock.

2. wear wetsuit booties with the latex sock

3. boil the jetfins and stretch vertically with pvc
pipe and clamps. I have very high arches.

4. If in need wear rockboots and the turtles where
need equals tough entries such as olsen at peacock.

I know it sounds pretty convoluted but it seems to
work for me. What I really want to do is weld the
atomic fin foot pocket to the jet fin blade. That would
be the perfect fin.

Kell ( with wayyyy too much time on my hands... )

O-ring once bubbled...
Same experience as metridium here...I thought the XL jets would work, nay, I PRAYED they would work. Got the rockboots and it was laughable...I could only get my toes in. Ordered turtles and problem solved. I would never dream of diving them in my wetsuit booties though...I kept the jets for wetsuit diving.

I had the same experience. My Trek boots don't fit my brand new XL-Jetfins. So I ordered a pair of Turtles and some spring straps from COVCI last week and will keep my Jets for diving my wetsuit.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Are they just wider, or deeper as well?

I got my turtles in today, and for the fun of it I tried them on with my clod stompin Doc Martins and they slid on fairly easy. The funny thing is, I still had room to spare. They do seem a little big with my Trek boots though. Does anybody know if you can put an insert or something into the foot pocket to take up space? Or is that the price I pay for using Turtles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom