Jetfin spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a top view. My batteries died so if you need more images, contact Stu. :wink: ...

Thanks! They look close to mine that I made. Good design. :)

FWIW, I use solid stainless steel rods for the ends on Jet fin type springs. I can't imagine that design being weak, if they come off it'll prolly be due to the fin failing & tearing, not the rods.

As for "can't break", well, nothing is 100% failure free. Over the past few years on this site there have been a few spring failures reported, not all made by the same company or person. Seems pretty rare, but it can happen.

As for the spring cover, I dove with clear PVC tubing on mine for 3 years, then made some with the tubular nylon as pictured. I can't say that there's been a noticable difference in comfort for me, both feel fine.

Remember that these are fin spring straps, not bungee jumping harnesses. The mount only needs to be strong enough to stand up to the force the the spring will exert before it yields and self destructs from over extension. If you have added an internal cave line to prevent this then the maximum force comes from you pulling in a somewhat awkward position.

Also the bend of the pinched C mount places it in a shear mode. It will take a lot of pulling to make that C open up.

Up until recently I had fabricated my own mounds. I just got a pair of jets and went with the first one the OP mentioned. I don't anticipate any problems. From what i have seen the foundation of all in the same 1/2 OD 1/16 SS wire extension spring in various length.

I do suggest adding the internal cave line to prevent over extension.

Pete

Just to clarify something: I am sure that most straps will hold fine enough so there's nothing to really worry.

I just wanted to find the best one - such fins deserve the best strap.

I have turbo soles on my drysuit and I've tried the vinyl coverings on springs. They slipped around too much on my turbo soles. The nylon coverings didn't have that issues for me.

Just to clarify something: I am sure that most straps will hold fine enough so there's nothing to really worry.

I just wanted to find the best one - such fins deserve the best strap.

There is no consumer reports for spring straps. Metal of course can have flaws and such. If you really want "the best" that would satisfy your mind, you can rig a strap out of shock cord that will have less chance of a full break than a spring. It may not have a brand on it, but if you secure the cord to your own satisfaction then it should be good enough for you.

You can spot fray on a shock cord and replace before failure. A metal spring inside of a plastic or vinyl sheath, not so much.

That looks like a nice effort. Leave to XS Scuba!

I like the feature of them being transferable to other styles should you care to do so.

Looking at the pictures I can see them being nice on Jets. I do have a concern that they don't seem to be entrapped when mounted to to a side post fin.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom