Jet Fins and Ankle Weights????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am reorganizing my shed. I have dive gear stashed in various nooks and crannies. I am trying to get it better organized. I have a tupperware bin I was throwing sets of fins in as I found them. So far I have located 16 1/2 sets of fins (still missing one Force fin). I am starting to feel like Amelda Marcos. What is interesting is the set I am diving now is a set of SP jet fins I got about 30 years ago. They are bulletproof and work very well for my type of diving. Only change to them was a set of spring straps.

Yeah, that ankle weight analogy due to negative buyoancy didn't sound right. I considered questioning the guy about it but thought I would let him save face. I also noticed he didn't sell the jets so that got me thinking.

PS: Besides an LDS where on the net can I get jets with open heel??

Thanks for helping me out!!!!

eeee-baaaaay!! mine were $30! then my springs were a loving gift from jason b, since he messed them up for himself ( :D ) and they were then too short for him, but totally acceptable for me! i really like them, and i like that they are negative.

LOL! If I were you I would message James Croft (the guy with the post above yours) and see if he has an extra pair in that tupperware bin he'd be willing to sell :) You might be able to get some used ones from someone here on the board. Those things can last for a lot of years, I bought mine used almost 13 years ago and they were old when I got them.
Ber :lilbunny:

robbcayman:
My LDS told me to stay away from scubapro's jet fins because they are negative. He told me any people have had him order 1 pound ankle weights to keep their feet from going backwards on them. Is there any truth to this? He seemed like a nice guy but ya never know.

He told me Apollo fins are the best fins on the market. I belive he sold the apollo bio split fin. Does Apollo make a good fin? BTW, he wanted $199 for the fins does that seem high?
I've used both Jet fins and Apollo Biofins. They're both good, but for different reasons. Which is better for you depends on what you want to do with them.

The Biofins are easier to kick, and will give you good power ... but they're relatively poor performers for the type of kicks used when you want to do something other than go forward (i.e. helicopter kicks and reverse kicks). BTW - I paid $160 for mine, and you can easily find them for less than that.

Jet fins have been around, essentially unchanged, since the '70's. They're the choice for most technical divers because they're very good at maneuverability. If you're used to split fins, they'll feel like someone's tied logs to your legs till you get used to them ... but most folks who use them wouldn't use anything else. You can get a pair for around $99.

Either of these fins will last you for years ... they're virtually indestructible.

As to the remark about using ankle weights to keep your feet from going backward ...
it doesn't make any sense. No one I know who uses Jet fins would even consider using ankle weights ... and most of my dive buddies dive Jets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

james croft:
I am reorganizing my shed. I have dive gear stashed in various nooks and crannies. I am trying to get it better organized. I have a tupperware bin I was throwing sets of fins in as I found them. So far I have located 16 1/2 sets of fins (still missing one Force fin). I am starting to feel like Amelda Marcos. What is interesting is the set I am diving now is a set of SP jet fins I got about 30 years ago. They are bulletproof and work very well for my type of diving. Only change to them was a set of spring straps.

I feel better about the having 5 pairs of fins now. (plus 6 wetsuits, 1 drysuit, 5 tanks, 6 regulators, 6 masks, 5 pairs of gloves, 5 BCs..........).

Don't get me started on the number of exhaust systems and carbs I have for my project car.

I need less expensive hobbies or more control of my spending.

I'm not sure what the guy meant by negative. Heck most fins are negative. You drop one in the water... it'll go down... some just faster than others!

D.C.C.

Apollo bio pro is the best fin on the market for tankers. It will outspeed the jet fin by 10% with 30% less effort. Control is good, about average. If you need to thread the eye of a needle get the Oceanic Caribe, Scubalabs top slalom pick. Forget jet fins--clunkers.

The bio fin can be had for about 130 bucks. They are the fastest split fin (the fastest fin of any kind) tested. I have used freedivers long fins for years and the bio is even faster over a sustained run. The bio fin is made of pure gum rubber and has plastic buckles so keep it out of the sun, in your gear bag, when on deck.

The spring strap version of the bio, the bio pro XTC, is around $200.

pescador775:
Apollo bio pro ... They are the fastest split fin (the fastest fin of any kind) tested. I have used freedivers long fins for years and the bio is even faster over a sustained run.
I'll need a pair then if I ever enter the Diver Olympics. In the mean time, you will definitely beat me back to the boat. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom