jelly fish/sting question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the advice, i've never heard of Safe Sea, but I am definitely going to look into it. Yes, i noticed after the 60+ on my arms and only 5-6 on my legs that I have around 10 on my neck. Some in the front and some around my hair line. I'm also going to research sea lice and see what i can find.
THANK YOU to EVERYONE!!!

I'm also going to research sea lice and see what i can find.
THANK YOU to EVERYONE!!!

The best search to run would be from this board. There are PILES of posts all over the place. Use "sea lice" as your search terms.:D

Re: using bubbles to protect yourself on the way up:

I think bubbles move at 60 fpm or so, not certain if you want to follow them up :)

Anyway, I also have been hit by lice in the past, but I find them worse UNDER clothing. I spend the most time in waters with lots of Lions Mane Jellys, and I do tend to take a sting pretty hard. So my solution is to cover almost everything, and in tropical waters where stings only get worse (if less frequent) I want the cover even more. A nice swim skin (rash guard) is essential in my book, under any conditions. It keeps the sun off you, protects you from stings, rubs against a boat, etc. Plus it looks cool and tends to accentuate your muscles when women are around :p

Plus it looks cool and tends to accentuate your muscles when women are around :p
Or in my case, my tummy. :( But I think that kaia IS one of the women, yet I'm sure she'll look great in one.

One more time: SHORTIES ARE FOR JET SKIERS - and dive shops who like a fast, easy to fit sale. :)

Nobody mentioned to pee on it.. I'm impressed!
Never, vinegar is so cheap, everyone should have at least a small bottle in their bag. Ewww.

From my several hundred stings in the past, including one horrible full body hit as a kid, the damage is often done instantly. Ive tried all kinds of stuff after the fact, even rolling around in mud and sand (and looking quite the fool) but usually once you feel that sticky slime, that instant before the pain starts, it is already too late. Be proactive rather than reactive (or retroactive). And yes women look good in rash guards too, not as great in drysuits but thats another story...

Sea lice is a likely scenerio. We have them a couple times a year in Puerto Rico. The Sea Safe solution works pretty well. Sea lice are juevenile thimbles. Not real toxic but annoying nevertheless. The old vinegar on the outside and vodka from the inside sounds like it will make you not worry about it anymore. In Puerto Rico we prefer the rum approach but it is basicly the same idea. Usually if you get hit with a piece of a jelly it is a lot more than a "bite" size sting. I have had that unfortunate experience also and you issue sounds like the sea lice.

i found that a really hot[ dont scald yourself] shower will stop the itch/sting worked good all the time i worked in the tropics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom