JeffG, Lamont, RTodd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Will these guys be mods in the regular DIR forum or with they only have mod powers in the DIR Practitioners Zone?

I vote for extended mod powers beyond the Zone.

Anyway, just wondering.

Will these guys be mods in the regular DIR forum or with they only have mod powers in the DIR Practitioners Zone?

I vote for extended mod powers beyond the Zone.

Anyway, just wondering.
The idea was to provide Mods who knew more about DIR details than most of us. Therefore, the idea is to have them be Mods in all the DIR forums - to the best of my knowledge. :wink:

Very good. I think that makes a lot of sense and I for one as a noob appreciate having folks around who are willing to lead those of us blinded by the light into the darkness!

I am slowly reading through Dressed for Sucess and Fundamentals of Better Diving. I am sure I will have some questions soon! :)

Will do. I have worked pretty hard to convert my dive buddy over to the darkside. We took her new gear out for a spin the in muddy water a couple of weeks ago. Since we could only see about 1.5' we worked on teams skills up close and personal!

I do have a quick question about snap bolt size. I have the larger snaps that I purchased from Nix Dog colllars for my lights and gauge. What size is the best for the regulator?

I do have a quick question about snap bolt size. I have the larger snaps that I purchased from Nix Dog colllars for my lights and gauge. What size is the best for the regulator?

The medium (~3/4") if you wear substantive gloves of any kind. The smalls are dreamy if you have the luxury of diving gloveless most of the time (1/2").

Will do. I have worked pretty hard to convert my dive buddy over to the darkside. We took her new gear out for a spin the in muddy water a couple of weeks ago. Since we could only see about 1.5' we worked on teams skills up close and personal!

We have powers over all the DIR forums but only the DPZ is being heavily enforced for content at this time.

A word of caution about Nix. The quality of their products has been mixed. I have had some batches that were fine, and others where almost all of the snaps were way too stiff to be remotely useable.

A word of caution about Nix. The quality of their products has been mixed. I have had some batches that were fine, and others where almost all of the snaps were way too stiff to be remotely useable.
That's dissappointing, do you have a preffered source other then Nix?

I don't think the problem of bad bolt snaps is unique to NIX. We had some troubles with our suppliers also.

The sad reality is all of these type parts are made in China, and the importers are nothing more than brokers for brokers. Whichever factory has the the current low price gets the order. Even if we buy from a the same US importer, their source may change frequently, often without their knowledge.

We now inspect all of our snaps, and reject a fair amount of them, some shipments may have very few "sticky" snaps and the next may see us reject 40-50%.

Sucks but htat's what happens when you cede all your manufacturing to others.

Tobin

Lowe's carries SS snaps. I've bought a number of double-enders and some 1/2" ones and I've never had a problem. The nice thing is you get to check the action on them before you purchase your snaps. Just be careful though. Sometimes the SS ones can get mixed in with the plated snaps, so make sure you check the labels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom