JeffG, Lamont, RTodd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I've heard, though, is that the SS hardware store snaps often have non-stainless steel springs in them. There's a way to tell them apart, having to do with the "hole" that the slide is in, but I don't remember what the difference is.

I choke and pay dive shop prices for my boltsnaps, after having a couple of the hardware store ones stick.

What I've heard, though, is that the SS hardware store snaps often have non-stainless steel springs in them. There's a way to tell them apart, having to do with the "hole" that the slide is in, but I don't remember what the difference is.

I choke and pay dive shop prices for my boltsnaps, after having a couple of the hardware store ones stick.

I've been using mine for years without a problem. I have hundreds of dives on some that I bought at Lowe's and they still work like brand new.

I had a buddy who experimented with snaps from about 3 or 4 different sources and he found the best ones came from BOSUN SUPPLIES - Stainless Steel Anchors Deck Hardware Chain Shackles Hooks Clips Titanium FORCE 5 Rigging Fasteners Tools Suncor Microstar Knowledge Information wire rope

(Sorry folks, I can't get the link shortened to something more human.)

Voila!

I've been using mine for years without a problem. I have hundreds of dives on some that I bought at Lowe's and they still work like brand new.
I've had pretty good luck with the Lowe's SS snaps as well. I mostly use them on my SPGs and then the
lower snap on stage bottles. They're a little larger than I like for second stage clips, though.

Just curious,

Has anyone had any BAD experiences with the Zinc snaps? I believe they are the "plated" variety at Lowes? I did read that the shear strength on the bolt snap is less, but does it rust, corrode, or flat out not work?

Cheers :D

Just curious,

Has anyone had any BAD experiences with the Zinc snaps? I believe they are the "plated" variety at Lowes? I did read that the shear strength on the bolt snap is less, but does it rust, corrode, or flat out not work?

Cheers :D

Zinc, AKA "pot metal" or commonly referred to as "Die Cast" will get pretty fuzzy pretty rapidly around salt water.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom