Jefferson Lake Oct 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like everyone is up for this. Should we do food?

I can bring a BBQ, and I have some dogs, and maybe I'll pull an Elk steak out of the freezer.

I'll bring my canopy, and the sides. This canopy can handle wind as I've had it setup in my driveway for the last two weeks without issue.

What are the driving arrangements? Do I need to carry more than myself and ONE other person? I need to know if I want to put my carrier on top of the car.

This was the last list, is this everyone?

Ron
Rick (Waterskier1)
GeoRoc
Dan
Lynda
Frank

I guess we are still waiting to here from Michelle.

I will be driving on my own. I have a post Roatan party later the same day. I haven't looked at the map yet. I hope all these discussions about routes don't confuse me and I end up in Canada.

Ok..Having looked at the forecast for tomorrow, looks like the showers will hold off till the afternoon. I'm on my way to the shop to get my gear!

See you guys tomorrow morning at the Park and Ride.

Ron is bringring the grill, I'll pick up some burgers, buns etc. we'll have an event. Barley pop?
Frank

Frank,

I've got a few burgers and buns I'm bringing too, along with salt & pepper, ketchup & mustard, paper plates & napkins and a bag of potato chips.

My GPS shows it's 1:29:13 and 66.2 miles from US 285 & Wadsworth. It's almost twice as far for me, 113 miles and 2:40:12. I plan on being there by 10:00.

I'm going to PM you my cell phone number next.

Well how was it. Looks like the weather held out for all of you. What sort of treasure was there to be found.

The water temp was 48f. Viz 15-20 ft. I had to leave early for a post Roatan party. For me it was short but fun. We dove from the boat launch. The lake bottom is some what odd there. It starts out like normal, getting deeper as you go out (North) but then gets shallow, about five feet. It continues level for some distance before finally dropping off. We did not go deeper then about thirty five ft. It was my first dive there. I would like to try it again when i can spend the day.

We had fun. We grilled burgers, and it was a nice day, but windy with gusts easily in the 40~50mph range.

I dove with Dan, and my computer shows 44F water temp, and a max depth of 42Feet. There was no thermocline, and we had a temp of 44F from the top to our max depth.

I forgot to carry a bag, and passed up a number of lures and various junk on the bottom. Maybe next time one trash bag, and a goodies bag. The lake was down quite a bit. The guys from FlatIrons said it had dropped 15feet in just a week. They were there the previous weekend, and it was so windy they called the diving. They said you could barely walk against the wind.

I think my diving in CO is done for the winter. So Blue Hole bound for the winter, and maybe I can get in some time somewhere tropical, or in CA. We shall see.

Well how was it. Looks like the weather held out for all of you. What sort of treasure was there to be found.

Hi all,

I had a great time! I didn’t find any treasures though. I was the only one who dove wet. It wasn’t too bad. The weather held out (temperature and cloud-wise; it was very breezy). It is a pain putting on all the wetsuit items (especially gloves and the mask under my hood) but the only part of me that got cold was my lips and chin – the only things not covered. Maneuvering out of the water with 14 mils on is a pain too, but underwater it wasn’t too bad once I got my weights figured out for all that neoprene. I believe my computer showed 46 degrees at the surface (when I was trying to get my buoyancy/weights set) and 44 degrees at my maximum depth of 35-feet. I didn’t get to Tom’s 50-foot depth, so can’t comment on the thermo cline or temp that deep.

It was nice meeting Mark and Ryan, along with seeing Frank, Ron, Dan, and George again. The burgers (thanks for cooking again, Frank) and the fellowship were great.

I only saw some trash (cans and such) and some fishing lures. I also saw what looked like a wet suit with an arrow (spear gun?) holding it to the bottom. It looked intentional, so I left it.

The guys out of Flatiron’s were really friendly. I got a chance to talk with them before their first dive, and they said that last weekend, there was ice on the boat ramp, and it was really cold, so they abandoned the dive. They said that the lake was several hundred feet deep (not sure if that was at full lake or not. As Ron said, they told us the lake went down 15 feet in a week). In any case, lots deeper than I will be going.

The following are the figures/calculations I got for the Jefferson Lake Dives last Saturday.

Arrived at 10,000-ft Jefferson Lake @ 9:20AM from estimated 5,000-ft (I’m actually over 6,000-ft, but I used 5000-ft). This yields a Pressure Group PG “J”.

First Dive began at 11:28 AM, so my “surface interval" before dive was 2:08, which yields a PG “A” to start the dive with. My max depth for this dive was 35, and while not a square profile, we averaged between 28-33 feet for a good portion of the dive. The dive lasted 35 minutes. So, this gave me an exit PG “K” with O2Partial Pressure of 0.48 or 5% of allowable 02 (I know, we were just diving air, but my spreadsheet calculates it anyway, and maybe Frank can correlate his v-planner results).

The second dive began at 2:05 PM, so my SI was 2:02, for an ending PG “B”. The depth of the second dive was 23-feet (again not square, but not a yo-yo either). The dive lasted 29 minutes. This yields an exit PG “H”, with O2 Partial Pressure of 0.44, and 10% Cum O2. So, even considering the dives as square profiles, we were well within NDLs. And, the highest pass I had to cross was only 500-ft higher than the lake, so basically not a concern driving home.

Thanks for the feedback. It is interesting to hear the difference from the boat ramp diving to where Sean and I dove at the #2 parking lot. Sounds like the lake is dropping quickly now. The vis didnt change much, 20 ft about what we had. Was there alot of fishermen or not so many? Sounds like a good time even with the wind. Next year maybe a little earlier in the season :)

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom