Jaw Fatigue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

absolutely get the ComfoBite mouthpiece, made by Aqualung. Go to any dive shop that sells Aqualung and ask about them. They are amazingly comfy, soft and flexible, plus they are a form that fits around your upper teeth on inside and outside.... so you don't really even bit down on them. Some people like the Seacure but I don't, they are hard. I like how soft the Comfobite mouthpieces are. :D

I got mine 8+ yrs ago as I have a small mouth and standard mouthpieces made my jaw ache or gag. My daughter had braces when she got certified and they worked well for her as her teeth hurt if she bit down on the standard mouthpiece. Now her braces are off but she won't consider using anything else. It really is comfy!

Should you ever decide to swap to a long hose, be sure to reconsider the sea-cure,

Why do all of the long-hose junkies take this stance? If I have an OOA emergency and someone hands me a 2nd stage, I'm going to find a way to get air out of it, Sea-cure mouthpiece or otherwise.

-Charles

Why risk giving a stressed diver something that may send them over the edge? I often dive with a very petite diver who is not even a 3rd my size. It would be foolish to think she could get a full sized formed mouthpiece in. Nothing a pre-dive check couldn't fix. If everthing fits then go for it.

BTW. Proud to be a long hosed junkie!

Kenny

When I first started diving, I had the same issue. I have some problems equalizing, so I would bite down on my mouthpiece and shift my jaw from side to side....anything to equalize. By the end of the day, my mouth would be extremely fatigued and sore. But after I started getting more comfortable and not biting down so hard all the time, it was no longer an issue.

Just a warning on those mold-able mouthpieces....if you dive with an Air2 or long hose where you donate your primary, you may not want to use these. They may not fit your buddy's mouth well, and may even be long enough to hit gag relexes in another person. If your buddy is panicked, the last thing you want to do is to give them something that will only make it worse.

My suggestion would be to relax and realize that you do NOT need to bite down as hard as possible for the entire dive.

Why risk giving a stressed diver something that may send them over the edge?

and may even be long enough to hit gag relexes in another person.

I've heard all of these ficticious and hypothetical situations against Seacure mouthpieces. I have yet to hear from anyone with a verifyable account of a custom mouthpiece causing or exaserbating an OOA emergency.

We can sit here at our desks and come up with one implausible situation after another. My girlfriend is TINY and she can breathe off of my Seacure. No, it isn't comfortable but I highly doubt she (or anyone else) is going to complain when I've just brought them up from an low air situation.

-Charles

Op forgot to mention what reg.he is using.I had the same problem with my full metal reg.
Once I swtched to the Atomic Ti1,problem was gone.
In the begining there was no problem 30-40min.dives.But as soon as the dives became longer so did the fatigue.
Now,with the Atomic or the Oceanic EOS,problem gone.

I have the mouth piece that has the lip on it so that it holds on to the top of your mouth. I got this because I chewed through my other one and I like this one alot better.

I've heard all of these ficticious and hypothetical situations against Seacure mouthpieces. I have yet to hear from anyone with a verifyable account of a custom mouthpiece causing or exaserbating an OOA emergency.

We can sit here at our desks and come up with one implausible situation after another. My girlfriend is TINY and she can breathe off of my Seacure. No, it isn't comfortable but I highly doubt she (or anyone else) is going to complain when I've just brought them up from an low air situation.

-Charles

Charles, no one is saying they are bad mouthpieces. I have two on the ten regs I own. All that is being said here is to do your pre-dive checks to see if all is good. If the shoe fits, wear it! To argue it is moot and trollish!

Kenny

Last edited:
1. Relax
2. You might consider replacing your mouthpiece. I know that Seacure mouthpieces have been mentioned, and they can do the trick. I used one for years. But you might just need and extended bitewing mouthpiece. Like the Sherwood Wisdom Mouthpiece. Sherwood Wisdom Mouthpiece 3602-3LS with reviews at scuba.com
It's certainly less expensive than a Seacure mouthpiece. I'm not bashing Seacure, it is also a useful tool for the orthodontically challenged diver.

Relax again, being tense is superfluous for diving :).

I love the articulated joint on my Oceanic Delta-4 though and this helps me. This is nice since it limits the hose pull and I believe you can get similar fitting for other regs.

-Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom