Jaw Fatigue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard all of these ficticious and hypothetical situations against Seacure mouthpieces. I have yet to hear from anyone with a verifyable account of a custom mouthpiece causing or exaserbating an OOA emergency.

We can sit here at our desks and come up with one implausible situation after another. My girlfriend is TINY and she can breathe off of my Seacure. No, it isn't comfortable but I highly doubt she (or anyone else) is going to complain when I've just brought them up from an low air situation.

-Charles

The mouthpieces are long....I know many divers who use them or have tried using them, and pretty much every one of them said they needed to trim the excess length because they felt it hitting the gag reflexes. It may not be an issue with everyone, but I know I'm very sensitive to things hitting my gag reflexes....because of this and not having an issue with my mouthpiece, I don't choose to use a seacure or other mold-able mouthpiece. I'm not saying it's a reason someone should definitely not use it....but something that one should take into consideration before choosing it. Besides, if you aren't donating the primary, it's not even an issue.

absolutely get the ComfoBite mouthpiece, made by Aqualung. Go to any dive shop that sells Aqualung and ask about them. They are amazingly comfy, soft and flexible, plus they are a form that fits around your upper teeth on inside and outside... It really is comfy!

Or if the OP wants to PM his mailing address I will gladly send him several of these, as I immediately removed them from my AL Legend regs and replaced them with the Atomic mouthpiece, which is worlds more comfortable.

:D

mouthpiece_C.jpg

As mentioned above, I'm certain you'll find that simply relaxing and not biting the mouthpiece so hard will solve 90% of the issue. If not, my offer of the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece stands.

A tight hood can also contribute to jaw fatigue.

This is an interesting point as I had a brand new hood on the day that my jaw fatigue was its worst. I felt like the hood fit okay but perhaps I need a bigger one. Its an XL - I didn't realize my noggin was so big :D I also ate a bagel for breakfast!

Here's another vote for relaxing first then trying the Comfobite second. Or the Atomic mouthpiece for that matter. :wink:

I used to get jaw fatigue (probably a combination of clenching too hard and having TMJ) so I tried the Seacure. I absolutely hated it! Unless you dive with your teeth together, you may find it extremely difficult to dive with as I did. I prefer to dive with a relaxed jaw (teeth apart) but the only way I could keep the mouthpiece in place was to dive with both upper and lower teeth making contact on the mouthpiece. (My natural reflex when breathing through my mouth is to drop my lower jaw.) I used the Seacure for two dives and immediately switched back to my Comfobite.

RJP, what is the difference between the Atomic mouthpiece and others? (As stated above, I use a Comfobite so I'm not certain about the details of other mouthpieces.)

Why do all of the long-hose junkies take this stance? If I have an OOA emergency and someone hands me a 2nd stage, I'm going to find a way to get air out of it, Sea-cure mouthpiece or otherwise.

-Charles

I use a long hose 7' and a Sea-Cure, but I am NOT full DIR. It is one of a couple things that I have to do my own way. The wings are cut way back, so my 5'1" gal can use it with no problem. She actually prefers a Sea-Cure on her bungeed backup reg so she can insert it into her mouth faster.

Or if the OP wants to PM his mailing address I will gladly send him several of these, as I immediately removed them from my AL Legend regs and replaced them with the Atomic mouthpiece, which is worlds more comfortable.

:D

mouthpiece_C.jpg

As mentioned above, I'm certain you'll find that simply relaxing and not biting the mouthpiece so hard will solve 90% of the issue. If not, my offer of the Comfo-Bite mouthpiece stands.

Hey you might very well be on to something there. That looks like an all around soft mouthpiece. I may have to give it a try. What's the price on those going for?

Kenny

I had an Atomic B2 with both a swivel hose, and that great Atomic mouthpiece, and still experienced "push" and jaw fatigue...

Switched to Miflex and it disappeared... Ended up putting Miflex on the inflator, and Octo... They're amazing... (expensive... but, amazing).

Back
Top Bottom