Jaw fatigue..... What's the band aids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnburglar

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a bad case of Bruxism: which means on a regular day I get pretty sore and have lots of pain in my jaw. I noticed on my last few dives, I start fighting jaw fatigue pretty quickly. Are there any solutions to help with jaw fatigue? I was using rental gear and don't remember the name of the regs: when purchasing my own regs should I look specifically for light weight, or a better mouth piece?

Does anyone else fight issues like this, and what are your solutions?

I'd suggest a moldable mouthpiece, such as the Trident R530. They fit most regs you're likely to buy.
Or the better-marketed SeaCure

Things that could help:

A bettter mouthpiece - most of the options are seen here: mouthpiece buy at LeisurePro - or the Trident recommended ^.
A 2nd stage swivel - Atomic has them as factory/options across their entire line - they also sell a different model on a hose for non-Atomic products. Other companies do also.
You can also compare 2nd stage weights on most regulators somewhere. Two that are among the lightest are the Atomic Titanium products or the Aqualung Mikron - if they still make it. Sometimes use of Titanium doesn't always result in the lightest 2nd stage so do your homework.
A 90o fixed swivel on a longer hose configuration - likely routed under your arm on a longer hose but not always.
Sometimes a longer or shorter fixed hose helps also.
That's one of the supposed advantages of the MiFlex style braided hoses also. Although by observation they still stiffen up when pressurized - I have not tried one.

Personal experience - I have an Atomic with the swivel. I also shoot video and get distracted. Twice I've swallowed water because it's so comfortable that I relaxed my mouth and the reg slipped almost out of my lips w/o my noticing. It really takes all the pressure from the hose pulling sideways out of the equation. I have the factory length also.

A FFM (Full Face Mask) might be worth considering if the problem is bad enough and not resolved by a better fitting mouthpiece. Making a conscious effort not to bite down on the mouthpiece and hold it in position with your lips might also help. Best of luck finding a solution that works for you.

Last edited:
Look at the Leisurepro page suggested by diversteve and read the reviews on the Aqua Lung Comfo-bite. This is the only mouthpiece I will use as it is so much more comfortable than any other I have tried including moldable ones.

I came to suggest a comfo-bite. The other thing that helped me was a ball-swivel. That really kept the hose from pulling on my jaw. My mom has had jaw issues my whole life (total joint replacement before 45) so I'm very conscientious of my jaw.

I'd purchase your own regs and try a few different mouthpiece options since you're likely clenching your jaw.

People have love/hate relationships with both the comfo-bite style mouthpieces and the Seacure type mouthpieces. One hangs from your top jaw so you don't have to hold it with your teeth, and the other fits more like a mouthguard by forming to your teeth and going all the way back to your molars. I prefer the comfobites which while stock with Aqualung regs are available for the rest of the regs on the market.

One more note: miflex hoses would certainly not hurt.

Back
Top Bottom