Review NEO Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE: They told me to size up and that swapping sizes would be easy if I wasn't thrilled with the fit.

I'm right in between sizes (M and L) on the Neo, planning to get the 5mm. Should I go up or down in size? (I emailed the Fathom folks this morning; I'm just impatient.)

UPDATE: They told me to size up and that swapping sizes would be easy if I wasn't thrilled with the fit.

I'm right in between sizes (M and L) on the Neo, planning to get the 5mm. Should I go up or down in size? (I emailed the Fathom folks this morning; I'm just impatient.)
The 5mm NEO is REALLY stretchy. I guess I would go up a size?

Another update for good measure: Got to dive the 5mm NEO hood this weekend and wow. I am super impressed. It was so comfortable that I thought I needed to size down when I first got it, but it ended up being a perfect fit. Kept my head warm down into the high forties (average temp was 50F). It vents well and moves with me without any flushing. This almost instantly became my new favorite hood. I just switched from my 10mm Waterproof winter hood to this for summer, and I swear the 5mm is just as warm. Highly recommended.

It also arrived in perfect condition without any creases, unlike the Subgravity hood I'd tried before this one that looked like it had been folded and then stored under a truck.

Any chance there is a link to these hoods? The wife needs one since she's not up to spending $ on a semi-dry like I did.

Any chance there is a link to these hoods? The wife needs one since she's not up to spending $ on a semi-dry like I did.
I think James Draker a dealer as well but would check if he’s in town first

So I now have the 5mm, 8mm, and 11mm NEO hoods. I ordered the 11mm while waiting for the backordered 8mm because the water was getting cold, and after being spoiled by the 5mm NEO, my Waterprooff 10/5 with bib was no longer cutting it for me.

For some context, it gets down to and stays around 39° (4C) here in winter/spring, and I'll be damned if that's going to stop me diving. I had been diving the Waterproof but found it flushes quite a bit, but still, it was the warmest hood I'd ever had, so I thought it was as good as it got. I also have a custom 12/3 hood from Otter Bay that never worked well for me.

I have been loving the 11mm NEO this winter. No bib, and it's still it's much warmer than my old Waterproof. A lot of that is fit, sure, but I think the quality of neoprene and of the hood in general help. When I finally got the 8mm, I took it to Monterey for some ~50° (10C) water, and it was great at those temps. Admittedly, I was missing the 11mm a little at depth. It's so warm! Amazing hoods all around.

These hoods sound interesting.

Anybody else want to chime in on what thickness they’re running at what temperatures?

I think I’m gonna give one of these a shot but am on the fence between 8mm and 11mm.

I use an 11 for long scooter dives in 72° water or an 8 for anything swimming. Anything colder than 72° is 11mm. I’d go 11 and if you’re too warm at first, it’ll eventually crush down depending on number of dives and depth.

5mm in So Cal waters year round (really just the cooler months) but I only hood up when I'm really cold or expect to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom