Regulator configuration changes to relieve mouth/hose fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, haste makes waste! So I did order a couple elbows, my flex hoses in 3 sizes to try each, and 3 mouthpieces. If I like my new setup then then kids can decide if they want to do it (and order it themselves).

I also say switch mouth pieces, but instead use....

Sea Cure mouth piece. The indents from your teeth hold it so you can loosely put almost zero jaw pressure on it to breathe. When diving 5 days straight and 25 dives, it works like a charm.

Dive more, hold the hose, dive less.

I like the long bite mouthpieces from DGX. I find these provide a better and less tiring grip on the regulator or a heavy CCR BOV. The weight is spread out over a larger surface area than just your front teeth. These are only $3 on DGX.

I have also used the SeaCure mouthpieces that you can mold to your bite. The problem I had with these is that they are hard plastic once they set. After a while, I would get pressure and pain where it touched my gums.
1657233032071.png

... So, what are people doing to help this? ...
If you are using a turret style regulator (think Scubapro Mk 5/10/15/20/25 or Atomic, for example) and running the turret "down", then one very simple solution you might try is cant the 1st stage a bit (tilt the HP hose side downward a bit). Doing this will "hike" up the IP hose a bit--which means the IP hose will enter the right side of your 2nd stage more horizontally. The reg will feel more balanced in your mouth. Less strain.

An added benefit of doing this: Your HP hose will not bow out as much. It will hug your right side a bit closer.

I would be surprised if this doesn't provide you noticeable relief, immediately--without needing to resort to long hoses or angle pieces, etc.

ETA: This approach works for me with my non-turret Poseidon Odin reg, too.

rx7diver

+2 on the long hose

Back
Top Bottom