Jamestown Bridge Artificial Reef Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice, i ask for a location and here we go!!!!! "buy this educational DVD".
don't get me wrong, i'm not against things like this, i'm all for it considering where the money go but look at it from my point of view, why would i buy a dvd about a reef that i know nothing about, if somebody would have taken their time, made a web page about it, some pictures, some data, location (at least aproximative) maybe i would have bought it, ....
this is one thing people around here are hung about : MONEY, and i'm not saying that this is abnormal, bottom line is the one that drives business and not only, what one is willing to put in to get to that bottom line bothers me; i guess too many people got used to driving corvettes just by investing in a hammer and a bucket of roofing nails, ....
Talking about how little diving contributes to the economy:
i've tried researching this and got nowhere, can't find any good information on these sites on the net so i guess until somebody actually puts some effort into it i'll just look for something else.
no pun intended.

I can't personally verify their accuracy as I've never been there, but the coordinates for both reef sites are given on page 13 of the 2009 RI DEM Marine Fisheries Abstract (http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/saltabs.pdf ). The coordinates they give are below. The document also shows the bathymetry of the two sites.

Gooseberry Reef
North Corner N41 26.150 W71 19.050
East Corner N41 25.983 W71 18.883
South Corner N41 25.867 W71 19.100
West Corner N41 26.033 W71 19.267

Sheep Point Reef
North Corner N41 27.550 W71 16.883
East Corner N41 27.383 W71 16.717
South Corner N41 27.267 W71 16.933
West Corner N41 27.433 W71 17.100

Last edited:
Looks like a nice dive to couple with a trip thru the arches. I would maybe assume experiments are going on at the reefs so divers could either be restricted or asked not to disturb the equipment.

The depth appears to be a sweetspot though; its not too deep and not too shallow for a variety of sealife. The terraine looks interesting also.

These #'s are correct. And yes, experiments are actively underway. Please be mindful of instruments on the bottom, as well as transect lines and subsurface buoys. Maintenance of moorings on site has not yet happened this season, so dont leave a boat tied to anything that looks like it 'might hold'.

Good point from a previous poster about a dedicated web site. The current project manager from the DEM is working on this. In the meantime, the ebst snapshot of the project is that DVD, coupled with teh various State reports that can be found online. The project is in its infancy, so good things to come, in due time.

I can't personally verify their accuracy as I've never been there, but the coordinates for both reef sites are given on page 13 of the 2009 RI DEM Marine Fisheries Abstract (http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/saltabs.pdf ). The coordinates they give are below. The document also shows the bathymetry of the two sites.

Gooseberry Reef
North Corner N41 26.150 W71 19.050
East Corner N41 25.983 W71 18.883
South Corner N41 25.867 W71 19.100
West Corner N41 26.033 W71 19.267

Sheep Point Reef
North Corner N41 27.550 W71 16.883
East Corner N41 27.383 W71 16.717
South Corner N41 27.267 W71 16.933
West Corner N41 27.433 W71 17.100

I'm surprised they don't implement a no anchor zone and instead implement a policy similar to Stellwagon Bank.

Stellwagon Bank's policy is that the boat can't anchor and we use a decent line attached to weights and float ball separated from the boat. And the boat circles or stays near the drop line with the flag for the remainder of the dive.

Not only does this preserve the bottom and leaves it undisturbed, this also adds a factor of safety as someone will be at the wheel of the boat when divers are down.

nice, i ask for a location and here we go!!!!! "buy this educational DVD".
i've tried researching this and got nowhere, can't find any good information on these sites on the net so i guess until somebody actually puts some effort into it i'll just look for something else.
no pun intended.

Or you could go start your own informational web page about it. Go dive it. Some of my best dives are on sites that we find that no one knows anything about.

Or you could go start your own informational web page about it. Go dive it. Some of my best dives are on sites that we find that no one knows anything about.

Why don't you and I dive it?:D Started working on the boat yet?

I'm still waiting to be a part of one of those types of dives some day!

Chris originally told us you were going to be joining us last weekend in Jamestown, but heard you got stuck working. Hope to actually be able to meet you and get a few dives with our combined groups this season!

-Brian

I'm still waiting to be a part of one of those types of dives some day!

Chris originally told us you were going to be joining us last weekend in Jamestown, but heard you got stuck working. Hope to actually be able to meet you and get a few dives with our combined groups this season!

-Brian
Yup, work,work, house work and Boat work. That will keep me busy until I launch in May. Sometimes I can sneak in a dive in between. I have a little 13' Inflatable that I keep ready to go throughout the Winter and Spring. This weekend we are replacing one o fthe cabin windows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom