Jamestown Bridge Artificial Reef Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As some of you know, they are in the early stages of demolishing the old Jamestown Bridge. Much of the concrete material from the Bridge is going to be used to build three artificial reefs off the RI Coast later this year. There are two sites right off Newport and one site further out in RI Sound.

For those who are curious I have attached the chart showing the three reef sites.

Here is a diagram of how the Gooseberry and Sheep Point Reefs will look

This is a diagram of the RI Sound Reef which is going to have a slightly different layout.

That RI Sound location is pretty close to the U boat. Hopefully they don't end up piling a whole bunch of old concrete on top of it!

Not that these guys ever make mistakes with artificial reef placement :11doh:

Now if we could only get them to sink that carrier here....

Mike

Mike I know of one individual in Newport who would love nothing more than to see
the U Boat completely covered so that we divers could not dive it anymore.

sean22:
Mike I know of one individual in Newport who would love nothing more than to see
the U Boat completely covered so that we divers could not dive it anymore.

People don't want anybody diving the U-Boat? Really? Who and why?

Michael

Hi RI Oceanographer
thanks for the information. I live 500 yards south of the Jamestown side of the bridge. I knew about the locations but had not seen the diagrams. I have a few friends that are working with the RISSA(RI Salt Water Anglers Club) to get an artificial reef program going in this state. It really is in it's infancy right now. But, with a little luck and alot of hard work, maybe we can see a vessel or two sunk out there.

michaelp68:
People don't want anybody diving the U-Boat? Really? Who and why?

Michael
I will just say this because this is a public forum. There are some people that believe
that it should be protected as a war grave and placed off limits. Which to my way of thinking is ridiculous.

Capt. Michael Jensen:
Now if we could only get them to sink that carrier here....

I just think the scary thing about those carriers as reefs is that they are so huge that if you sank one next to the U-boat it would still be sticking about 40 ft out of the water.... :D

sean22:
Hi RI Oceanographer
thanks for the information. I live 500 yards south of the Jamestown side of the bridge. I knew about the locations but had not seen the diagrams. I have a few friends that are working with the RISSA(RI Salt Water Anglers Club) to get an artificial reef program going in this state. It really is in it's infancy right now. But, with a little luck and alot of hard work, maybe we can see a vessel or two sunk out there.

Dan over at OSS mentioned to me that RISSA was trying to do that. They seem to have a bit stronger lobby than us divers around here so I hope that works out. Certainly would be more exciting than a pile of concrete.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom