Jamestown Bridge Artificial Reef Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sean22:
I will just say this because this is a public forum. There are some people that believe
that it should be protected as a war grave and placed off limits. Which to my way of thinking is ridiculous.

uh yeah and I think mowing the grass in cemeteries should be forbidden cause it disturbs the dead

RIOceanographer:
Dan over at OSS mentioned to me that RISSA was trying to do that. They seem to have a bit stronger lobby than us divers around here so I hope that works out. Certainly would be more exciting than a pile of concrete.....
Dave and Dan at OSS are good friends of mine. Dave is who I was referring to. Any help/support that can be given when needed will be appreciated!

all4scuba05:
uh yeah and I think mowing the grass in cemeteries should be forbidden cause it disturbs the dead
That is the same kind of logic.

sean22:
That is the same kind of logic.

From the New England Dive Center

NOTE: It should be understood that the U-853 is considered a war grave by both Germany and the United States, and it has not been "abandoned" by the German Government. Divers should exercise care not to disturb the remains of the crew. We do not want to lose the opportunity to experience diving on the site. Please afford these remains the same respect due the war dead of any nation.

look, I'm all for diving the uboat however people HAVE removed pieces of it, attempted to take bones from it, etc. I can understand when people want to protect it but at the same time we should be allowed to dive it.

A real parallel would be people disturbing the dead in a cemetary by removing pieces of a gravestone/statue/etc, digging up bones, etc... not mowing the grass...

As for other wrecks which are not sanctioned as war graves by our or other governments I'm all for artifact hunting.

sean22:

Sorry about hijacking the thread but . . . Hi John!
Have you been getting in the water this winter?

Dennis

Oh . . . and yes, RISAA is a worthwhile organization to lend support to. They really have their act together and know how to get things done.

wreckedinri:
Sorry about hijacking the thread but . . . Hi John!
Have you been getting in the water this winter?

Dennis

Oh . . . and yes, RISAA is a worthwhile organization to lend support to. They really have their act together and know how to get things done.
I have been in a few times Dennis. Dave and I went over to the Prudence wreck on New Years eve day. My big boat is put away for the winter but I run my 13' Avon until it just gets to miserable out. I saw you got out with the NDE folks. Thanks for picking up on my spelling error. It should have said RISAA not RISSA.

sean22:
It should have said RISAA not RISSA.

Doh! I copied your "RISSA" mistake and did it my post too, even though I knew better. That's why I am a scientist, nothing gets past my keen powers of observation! :D

Hmm... now where did I put my keys?

I have a couple of updates on the bridge. First, for those that haven't been to Jamestown recently, the removal of the bridge is well underway. Most of the concrete road deck has been removed, and on April 11th they are going to set off the first set of demolition charges to drop the bridge's center span. If you are in the area I imagine it will probably be pretty cool to see. Here is a link to the Providence Journal article about it (free site registration required to view it):

http://www.projo.com/ri/jamestown/content/projo_20060323_james23.da8ff5d.html

As for the reefs, I was talking to a NOAA diver buddy of mine who is going to do survey dives on the reefs once they are in place. He said that the contractors now believe there will not be enough concrete to do all three of the originally planned reef sites. As a result, they are planning to cut the RI Sound site shown on the chart I posted back on the first page. The two Newport sites should still go ahead as originally planned.

And where would you recommend sitting to view such a spectacle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom