Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG is a subsidiary/subset of Edge, isn't it?
HOG/Edge are the same. HOG is geared more towards tech and those who want to dive tech style gear. Edge is geared towards the recreational market.

Seems like a BP/W would actually be less likely to push you forward than a "regular back inflate BCD", considering the plate is behind you.
A BP/W DOES NOT PUSH YOU FORWARD. Wearing too much lead and/or having in the wrong location (on your waist, and forward of your centerline) in conjunction with overfilling the air bladder is what causes a forward tipping motion. Actually a back-inflate I had which only had huge integrated weight pockets on the front portion of the waist band was the worst I ever had with this issue. Once I understood it, it is a no-issue...

A BP/W DOES NOT PUSH YOU FORWARD. Wearing too much lead and/or having in the wrong location (on your waist, and forward of your centerline) in conjunction with overfilling the air bladder is what causes a forward tipping motion. Actually a back-inflate I had which only had huge integrated weight pockets on the front portion of the waist band was the worst I ever had with this issue. Once I understood it, it is a no-issue...
it is unfortunate that the definition of proper weighting by most people does not include weight distribution. So very important.

There have been many threads on this. Here are some quotes of my replies in some of them on why BP/W:

Clicking on the arrows at the start of the quotes will take you to those threads.

You can get a fully set up basic BP/W from an online (or supporting local) shop as easily as you can get any other back inflate BC. And it will be more durable, more adjustable to your needs and start you with a better weight distribution than the alternatives.

(And an 'advanced' BP/W is just a basic one whose configuration you've refined over time to better fit your needs, if you felt any such changes were needed.)
I like the motorcycle description/analogy! I am in the same buying situation. I've rented BCD's about 20 times and it's time to buy. Want back inflate for sure, and small for travel. BPW is so highly recommended, the advantages are clear (size/versatility), and I think it would be best. But it's complicated. The other options make it simpler. I want the BPW if I can be sure it will be rigid, the right amount of lift, small and less expensive too. What's not to like!

But - to go with your analogy, (and I happen to ride a MC and work on it) you are ordering the constituent parts and planning to build the bike, based on info from sellers and advice in forums like this, but you have not rode one or built one before, and you don't get to until you are far away in some exotic locale (my plan anyway!). But I liked the description and I appreciate the info & perspective much. 🤿🙏🏼. I think I need to read and reasearch until I am comfortable ordering a BPW 'kit' that will work for me. Thanks.

Now on to the Brand choices: Dive Rite, Zeagle, xdeep

My friend in Stuart Fl loves his Zeagle BC...there are many different styles of Zeagle BC...I started with a Zeagle and I still have a Zeagle Covert XT but I prefer BP/W set up for me
Buoyancy Compensators Archives - Zeagle
Thanks - I really like what I read about Zeagle, and I am pretty much down to the Covert, Covert XT, or Express Tech. 👍🏼

you are ordering the constituent parts and planning to build the bike
You can just order the full up made bike. Largely to help relieve that info overload. Places like Dive Gear Express and Dive Rite In Scuba offer their packages assembled for you. And mostly there is little difference between that and some boutique collection of components you put together just for you. In terms of the plate, webbing, and wing. Think of it as buying a sown together back inflate, but if you ever want to, you can take out the allen wrenches and swap out some parts. (well actually all of them, but don't let your mind go there... if it gets overloading.)

but you have not rode one or built one before, and you don't get to until you are far away in some exotic locale (my plan anyway!).
Regardless of what you go with, I'd recommend finding a pool to try it out and figure out weighting/trim prior to travel with it.

Respectfully,

James

You can just order the full up made bike. Largely to help relieve that info overload. Places like Dive Gear Express and Dive Rite In Scuba offer their packages assembled for you. And mostly there is little difference between that and some boutique collection of components you put together just for you. In terms of the plate, webbing, and wing. Think of it as buying a sown together back inflate, but if you ever want to, you can take out the allen wrenches and swap out some parts. (well actually all of them, but don't let your mind go there... if it gets overloading.)
Thanks - I have yet to hit up Dive Gear Express, but that is good to know. It's one of those things... Just that first fully made up kit would help the process, and I have no doubt that I would be able to work with it, understand, appreciate and customize it.. 👍🏼

Thanks - I have yet to hit up Dive Gear Express, but that is good to know. It's one of those things... Just that first fully made up kit would help the process, and I have no doubt that I would be able to work with it, understand, appreciate and customize it.. 👍🏼
Just my 2 pfennig, but consider buying the BPW unassembled. I know I mentioned it in another thread, but FWIW having put together my rig from scratch I know better how to adjust or if needed disassemble/repair my backplate if there is some need for it.

Also, my kit from DGX included this gem, which I quite love. Makes doffing and donning my equipment way easier. Highly recommended either way you go. YMMV and all that.

Just my 2 pfennig, but consider buying the BPW unassembled. I know I mentioned it in another thread, but FWIW having put together my rig from scratch I know better how to adjust or if needed disassemble/repair my backplate if there is some need for it.

Also, my kit from DGX included this gem, which I quite love. Makes doffing and donning my equipment way easier. Highly recommended either way you go. YMMV and all that.

Yall, Update - I'm just happy to be alive after defying death last week in Cozumel with a jacket stye travel BC
:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom