Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there, recently got certified and I am just looking for advice on this topic. I don’t like to buy gear that I outgrow quickly, so is the back inflate style of BCD something that I am going to wind up wanting down the road shortly? I’d rather buy once/cry once type of deal.

Also, from a bang for your buck standpoint, what are good back inflate BCDs that aren’t necessarily entry level, but not at the top of the cost spectrum either?

Hello there, recently got certified and I am just looking for advice on this topic. I don’t like to buy gear that I outgrow quickly, so is the back inflate style of BCD something that I am going to wind up wanting down the road shortly? I’d rather buy once/cry once type of deal.

Also, from a bang for your buck standpoint, what are good back inflate BCDs that aren’t necessarily entry level, but not at the top of the cost spectrum either?
What kind of diving do you plan on doing?

Just open water certified now, but will be getting advanced open within the next few months. Keys trips 2-3 weeks a year, then east coast of fl diving mostly, some spear fishing, and occasional vacations elsewhere.

You can go to Dive Gear Express (DGX) and check out what they have as well as your local dive shop. SInce you will be doing Florida diving and traveling an Aluminum BP/W would be a good choice. The DGX wing that is 30lbs is very slim and trim. I like single tank adapters as it keeps the tank steady and slight further away from the back of my head. If you can drive to Lauderdale by the Sea then I would have Ryan from Aqui Watersports set you up. I have an xDeep Ghost that I love for travel with integrated weight pockets. Not the cheapest but pretty nice. My wife has a really nice HOG aluminum set up HOG 23 lb wing with single tank adapter, and ZEAGLE weight pockets that attach to the BP and waist strap that are great. I have mobility issues and don't like the integrated weight pockets for the xDeep BC...I have them and use them but I had to go to the XL size just so I can easily insert the inner pouches to the weight pockets. I have bad back issues and can't turn and twist like most people can.

BCs
Just to get you started is all

You don't have to buy a BP/W set up, jackets and/or back inflate bc's are still an option for recreational diving. Don't succumb to the incredible peer pressure here on SB, it doesn't represent the truth out there. You just have to choose the appropriate BC at the price you can afford for the purpose you intend to use it. There are many models and brands of jacket BC's and they aren't all equal in fit, comfort and features so you have to make the right choice. Technical diving is a different story however.

You don't have to buy a BP/W set up, jackets and/or back inflate bc's are still an option for recreational diving. Don't succumb to the incredible peer pressure here on SB, it doesn't represent the truth out there. You just have to choose the appropriate BC at the price you can afford for the purpose you intend to use it. There are many models and brands of jacket BC's and they aren't all equal in fit, comfort and features so you have to make the right choice. Technical diving is a different story however.
Thanks, and what would you recommend for back inflate BCs that are a good value for middle of the road gear?

Thanks, and what would you recommend for back inflate BCs that are a good value for middle of the road gear?

I just had the chance to dive the Scubapro SeaHawk 2 for a week with 5 and 3mm suits and it was excellent. Very stable, comfortable, weight integrated and decent size pockets with all the d'rings you will need. You can also attach a crotch strap to with it if you want to but not necessary. I am waiting for the Scubapro Hydros Pro to try (I have tried it before but not enough) but I can't give you more precise information on it now.

Back
Top Bottom