Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello there, recently got certified and I am just looking for advice on this topic. I don’t like to buy gear that I outgrow quickly, so is the back inflate style of BCD something that I am going to wind up wanting down the road shortly? I’d rather buy once/cry once type of deal.

Also, from a bang for your buck standpoint, what are good back inflate BCDs that aren’t necessarily entry level, but not at the top of the cost spectrum either?
Any quality used BCD will provide your immediate needs. Make sure they have stainless steel D-rings on the shoulder and near the waist.

^^^^^ this, wait we are talking about regs now. Excuse me while I go get an ax and some booze.
Lol sorry guys. Trying to soak it all in.

When these people think this reg is better or that one is better…. What are they arguing? That WHAT is better about it?

When these people think this reg is better or that one is better…. What are they arguing? That WHAT is better about it?
- Breathability. Ease of drawing the breadth. Smoothness of the breadth. Not vibrating your tonsils when it gives you air. Happily vibrating your tonsils if you ask it to.
- Reliability.
- Use below 200'. Use above 60'.
- Use cold. Use warm.
- Use in salt. Use in fresh.
- Serviceability local. Self service. Service in far off lands overnight so you can dive the next morning (sure). Self serviceability on a deserted island using just coconuts for tools.
- Availably of service and spare parts. From dealer. From parts_is_us.
- Company goodness.
- Cost. Service cost.
- Service recommend annually or bi-annually.
- No more cost/complex/capable than needed.
- Delivery of prodigious amounts of air/trimix.
- Use upside down. Use in mud. Use not upside down as that would be silly.
- Low work of breathing under light work load. Under heavy workload or stress.
- What your dive shop or buddies use. What your expedition partners use.

There is no qualitative measure so it is all subjective/biased opinions.

The brands I mentioned and some I didn't see all good. The important thing is having someone competent to service them. That was a frustrating experience for me

There is no qualitative measure so it is all subjective/biased opinions.

The brands I mentioned and some I didn't see all good. The important thing is having someone competent to service them. That was a frustrating experience for me
Can you explain your experience with that?

Can you explain your experience with that?
Sure. Several shops made my ScubaPro regs sound like a kazoo shoved in the rectum of a flatulent ape (a common problem when improperly serviced), second stages bubbling among others.

You might be lucky and have a good LDS but don't rule out mailing your regs to a NLDS if need be. At least you only make one trip.

Why do you recommend that for the first few dozen dives? After that first few dozen, getting a reg set, what will be different then than getting as a combo now?

How do you like the cracking pressure? Do you want one with the knob for it, or will you tell the shop tech how to adjust it for you? Or are you going to DIY?

For example.

Many years ago I assisted our shop tech in servicing my regulator. When I saw how long it took him, an experienced tech, I decided the standard cost of servicing was very reasonable. Then a tech on a ScubaBoard thread bragged that his average time for servicing a reg, start to finish, was 8 minutes. That's pretty fast, especially considering that most techs will put reused parts in a hydrosonic bath for a minimum of 10 minutes as one part of the process.

The first shop I used (and I was an instructor for) sent the regs they were not certified to service to another shop. That included mine. When I had serious problems with mine after a servicing, he serviced it again. When I still had problems, we sent it to Mares. Mares said it only needed servicing, which from the looks of the regulator had not been done in quite a few years. We eventually realized that the tech at that shop (actually the owner) was just holding onto regs for a couple weeks and then sending them back untouched, collecting the fee for doing nothing, counting on the fact that regulators really don't need annual servicing unless you are using them a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom