Jacket inflate vs Back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The car industry is technology driven by the motorsport industry. Innovations developed in Formula 1 are trickled down into high end luxury and sports cars...and eventually the average family car. The same is true for technological breakthroughs and developments that are driven by the space and defence industries....

In scuba diving, the high-end innovation happens within the technical and cave diving communities. Those innovations trickle down into the mainstream, for the eventual benefit of the average recreational diver.

The BP&W is a perfect illustration of this. Originally developed for twinset diving, with multiple deco bottles and scooters etc, in high-risk, high lethality diving environmetnts - the system is the culmination of decades worth of trial, error and innovation.

The benefits of that development are now available to the general diving populations.

Take it or leave it....

For those want to argue the merits of poodle jackets.... why don't you also rip the airbags, anti-lock brakes and stability control out of your cars?

By all rights, diving in a poodle jacket should now be considered vintage diving. The trouble is that the mainstream scuba manufacturing companies recognise that minimalist, long-lasting BCD designs will never be profitable for them....so they persist with misinformation and crass marketing to keep their outdated designs in the market.

mini-poodle.jpg

When I want to go for a happy splash I put on an old bcd and many times get dragged on my guts along many bassalt and limestone outcrops covered in every growth that grows there and shallow wrecks in surf and swell rolled and dragged and tumbled every which way but trimmed couple of bcds the shoulder strap ones scratched to pieces no holes 1000 dives maybe each no leaks I love them and the mythical grabbing bottom creature I have not appeased. I have found plenty of tank boots and belts and weights and masks with a tube attached and gloves and knives and fins and lights and....all from the bottom grabbing god appeasers. Never seen a sacrificed bcd or diver. Well I have seen a diver or two but they weren't grabbed by anything they just drowned.

Just be happy for a bloke that got in used his brain and bought some gear and may not be off to dive in the bottom grabbing scrapyard of someone elses ill informed inexperienced mind.

When I do diving at the other end of the spectrum where it may be appropriate to wear different gear out comes the modified halcyon stuff with all the badges cut off and better webbing with no markings and Knowone knows what I am wearing just in case someone wants to be appeased.
What's this getting used to your bcd rubbish. Do some have the inflator in the middle of the back.
Perfectly horizontal all the time my arse. You may as well be a mobile over a crib.
As motionless as possible at any attitude is trim.

Then what?

For those want to argue the merits of poodle jackets.... why don't you also rip the airbags, anti-lock brakes and stability control out of your cars?

This may very well be the dumbest thing you have ever posted. But then again......maybe not.

The trouble is that the mainstream scuba manufacturing companies recognise that minimalist, long-lasting BCD designs will never be profitable for them....so they persist with misinformation and crass marketing to keep their outdated designs in the market.

I've been reading a lot of good advice in this thread, from a lot of knowledgable people. This is not one of them. The idea that anti-lock breaks and power steering and whatever else you mentioned is like BP/W BCDs is inside the box thinking. Sure it may be best for your tech diving and cave diving, but there is a whole world out there (Myself and my fellow diving classmates being some of them) that likes clipping things on to our BCD wherever we want to make things handy (despite the little bit of drag we might get), that likes the stability that a jacket inflate BCD gives us on the surface, and that likes the look and feel of jacket inflates outside and in the water. I'd write more, but break is over at work lol.

I've been reading a lot of good advice in this thread, from a lot of knowledgable people. This is not one of them. The idea that anti-lock breaks and power steering and whatever else you mentioned is like BP/W BCDs is inside the box thinking. Sure it may be best for your tech diving and cave diving, but there is a whole world out there (Myself and my fellow diving classmates being some of them) that likes clipping things on to our BCD wherever we want to make things handy (despite the little bit of drag we might get), that likes the stability that a jacket inflate BCD gives us on the surface, and that likes the look and feel of jacket inflates outside and in the water. I'd write more, but break is over at work lol.

I would like to think there is a good instructor near you, who would like to show you how easy it is to glue on a thigh pocket to your wet suit or dry suit...the placement makes it much easier to see into than a BC pocket ( which is blind fumbling underwater for most divers) , the placement and size are still very low drag, and very low entanglement risk. ...You already know you can clip things to a bp/wing... as far as the look...well master sniper, Oxycheck makes a wing that is camoulflage :)

Sure it may be best for your tech diving and cave diving, but there is a whole world out there (Myself and my fellow diving classmates being some of them) that likes clipping things on to our BCD wherever we want to make things handy (despite the little bit of drag we might get),....

There are a hundred reasons why you are wrong...and one reason why you don't realise that... lack of experience.

If you want to dive like this...

streamline01.jpg

then please go ahead and do so...

But then again...if that is your choice... please don't think to post questions about how to reduce your air consumption, feel less tired, or reduce your anxiety and task loading under water.

and... please don't wonder why the experienced divers on your boats don't want to dive with you. :eyebrow:

By all means feel free to post being a jackas*. Did you get any training thru DIR? I've heard they produce arrogant instructors. My air consumption was excellent in my opinion, especially comparing myself to the rest of my classmates. That's not to say I don't want to better myself, but that comes over time. I moved in the water with relative ease, even for my first time in a cold water ocean. I can only imagine how smooth I could be with practice in my outdated mainstream short lasting bcd. And, anyone who doesn't want to dive with me doesn't deserve too. Its that simple :)

Inexperienced?
Experienced?
Open?
Closed?
Learning.
?

By all means feel free to post being a jackas*. Did you get any training thru DIR? I've heard they produce arrogant instructors. My air consumption was excellent in my opinion, especially comparing myself to the rest of my classmates. That's not to say I don't want to better myself, but that comes over time. I moved in the water with relative ease, even for my first time in a cold water ocean. I can only imagine how smooth I could be with practice in my outdated mainstream short lasting bcd. And, anyone who doesn't want to dive with me doesn't deserve too. Its that simple :)

DIR does not train anyone. DIR is a mindset. You yourself could read DIR articles, watch some DIR videos, and then you may decide to use some of the DIR ideas, or you might decide you hate the DIR ideas...we put them out, and we have always been happy to actually show the why's in real life diving.

If you listen to someone else who does not like DIR, it could be for reasons unrelated to diving...In any event, this is one of those issues you owe it to yourself to look into, and not take anybody else's word for.
Regards,
DanV

I have looked at some DIR stuff. I just don't think there is only one right way to do everything. Especially for people like myself not looking to get anything out of diving other than being underwater as much as possible. And also, my apologies for calling you a jackass. Bad day at work. My boss just changed my hours. Them some random dude on the internet starts tellinmemo my investment isn't an investment which I whole heartedly disagree with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom