Jacket inflate vs Back inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have trouble swimming to 10 ft when 4-6 lbs buoyant you might want to look into some good quality free diving training.

In the bad old days (pre-BC) divers would weight themselves to be neutral at whatever their operating depth was. You would have to kick like heck to get down the first twenty to thirty feet. With a few, very rare exceptions, the end of the dive meant a buoyant ascent (at rates which would make your computer freak out) with no safety stop. I am not advocating that we return to those days, but swimming down while under-weighted is very doable.

In the bad old days (pre-BC) divers would weight themselves to be neutral at whatever their operating depth was. You would have to kick like heck to get down the first twenty to thirty feet. With a few, very rare exceptions, the end of the dive meant a buoyant ascent (at rates which would make your computer freak out) with no safety stop. I am not advocating that we return to those days, but swimming down while under-weighted is very doable.

Yup. I remember those days.

Tobin

Re: the OP

You asked about rear-inflate BCs and BCs in general. As I indicated, on SB the term BC usually excludes BP/w. If you are undecided, have you considered a BP/w? Now, the BP/w vs. BC battle has been waged over and over on SB (google it, I dare you!). If you want to make an informed decision, read some BP/w vs. BC posts.

According to my observation, the three most recommended BP/w manufacturers and/or suppliers are (in alphabetical order): Deep Sea Supply (aka Tobin or cool_hardware52 on SB), Dive Rite, and Halcyon.

I believe that OP means Original Poster (the person who wrote the original post). I sometimes also use it to mean Original Post (the text). I believe that both are accepted, but I could be wrong.

BCs are buoyancy compensators. In the general sense, they include backplate with wings (BP/w) (or at least the wing :) ) as well as "jacket" or "vest" style compensators, and even the old-school "horse collars." In common usage on ScubaBoard (SB) BC usually refers only to the "jacket" or "vest" style buoyancy compensators. For many "BC" is a bad word - some of those who very much prefer BP/w refer to BCs as "poodle jackets."

BCD is buoyancy compensation device, which is the same as BC.

Lol thank you, but I very much know what a BC is. It was an invaluable part of getting my OW. My question was used in this context...

"It is very likely that a big reason there have been no studies on BC Cd's is that if you look at the whole package; changing the BC has very little impact on a diver's overall Cd."

Every time I see Cd, I think of either Cool down (thank you World of Warcraft) or discs (thank you modern technology). I can't figure out a Scuba Diving term.

Lol thank you, but I very much know what a BC is. It was an invaluable part of getting my OW. My question was used in this context...

It did seem like a strange question...

"It is very likely that a big reason there have been no studies on BC Cd's is that if you look at the whole package; changing the BC has very little impact on a diver's overall Cd."

Every time I see Cd, I think of either Cool down (thank you World of Warcraft) or discs (thank you modern technology). I can't figure out a Scuba Diving term.

I have no idea of what a "BC Cd" is...

Just guessing, but perhaps "coefficient of drag?"

Wikipedia:
In fluid dynamics, the drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that is used to quantify the drag or resistance of an object in a fluid environment such as air or water. It is used in the drag equation, where a lower drag coefficient indicates the object will have less aerodynamic or hydrodynamic drag. The drag coefficient is always associated with a particular surface area.

The drag coefficient of any object comprises the effects of the two basic contributors to fluid dynamic drag: skin friction and form drag. The drag coefficient of a lifting airfoil or hydrofoil also includes the effects of lift-induced drag. The drag coefficient of a complete structure such as an aircraft also includes the effects of interference drag.

Drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yup. I remember those days.

Tobin

Hell I survived those days, as for starting a dive without weights in a wetsuit we had to learn that one either in rescue or DM and also an unweighted ascent in control using a attitude similar to a skydiver.

I have been busy this week so I havn't been reading all the posts. Is the argument or discussion about having a low drag coefficient while diving. If so what level of equipment are we comparing ?

I have been busy this week so I havn't been reading all the posts. Is the argument or discussion about having a low drag coefficient while diving. If so what level of equipment are we comparing ?

It has devolved into the SB standard "BCs suck, get a BP/w! NO - you BP/w fascists need to stop thinking that you are the closest things to human torpedoes underwater."

Personally I have just unhooked the power inflator for my Zeagle Scout from my 1st stage and installed the power inflator hose for the wing on my BP/w. Seeing as how the Scout so very minimalist and rear-inflate, I don't expect that my first BP/w dive will involve a mystic experience, but at least I can hope... We'll see when I hit the water in a few weeks...

I still maintain the only truly human torpedo is a breath hold diver, no gear and no danglies of any type. Just clean wearing only a exposure suit and basics falling as if gliding in space returning to the surface kicking with great intention only after you inner human is screaming it's time once again to breathe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom