I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you people suppose is an expected lifespan of a new dive computer? Based on 20 to 30 dives a year. For me anyway, this is also a consideration. Reliability is a big factor.
Have been using Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox since 1997.

I remember many years ago -- in the mid-1950s -- when Japanese cameras were entering the market, brands like Canon. Nobody wanted to buy them because they were said to be junk and unreliable and, yes, from the bad guys. If you didn't have a German camera you were wasting your money, even if they cost a bundle more. US cameras? Right. Kodak? Their good ones were made in Germany. So here we are, same game, only the names have changed, except that globalization has homogenized products so much it is increasingly difficult to try and "vote with your dollars."

I will add, many times in my life I have bought a Chinese product only to have it fail, or break due to poor craftsmanship. Then I have to buy the same product twice or more. How much did o really save in the end?

I'm easily old enough to remember when conventional wisdom said the same about Japanese products- Japanese meant shoddy and cheap. It's rather different now.

My experience is that Chinese manufacturing is capable of incredible quality- if their customers are willing to pay for it and not just take the cheapest path. A dive computer company might, for instance, chose to use "clone" processors to cut costs. That's not the fault of the Chinese, who could easily use the real thing. It's a large and complex country and you can't lump it under one heading.

Had a lengthy reply, don’t know why it didn’t post. Maybe China is censoring me! Anyway, good insight on your part and much of what you describe is the result of globalization. If it’s made in Egypt, Mexico, India,ect.... I don’t care. As long as it’s not China. I adhere to the “vote with your dollar” and that’s what I always try and do.
Without hopefully further sidetracking your thread, I’ll posit that:
  1. Globalization is the inevitable result of improved communications and transportation. It is a fact of modern life.
  2. US lack of electronics manufacturing is the result of deliberate policy choices made decades ago that placed short term corporate profits ahead of the long term well being of citizens and workers. Other countries made different, less “free market” oriented choices.
There is still a huge amount of manufacturing in the US. It’s largely at the high end, and technical. China supplies many components for US high tech manufacturing, even if almost all the value is added in the US. I don't think you are going to be able to buy any electronic products that are free from Chinese components. That's the big argument against tariffs- they disadvantage US manufacturers against other countries that don't have to pay an extra tax on their components.

Then you are a hypocrit.
That was too easy for yku
Then you are a hypocrit.
wow are you so smart! Do you really think I didn’t know the I-phone was made in China when I answered you. Oh boy you got me! I hope you feel better about yourself. Yes I have an iPhone, yes I knew and know it’s made in China. I said I always “try” to buy not made in China. I also know it’s damn near impossible to not have products not made in China. The overall vast majority of products I own and or buy are NOT made in China.

That was too easy for yku

wow are you so smart! Do you really think I didn’t know the I-phone was made in China when I answered you. Oh boy you got me! I hope you feel better about yourself. Yes I have an iPhone, yes I knew and know it’s made in China. I said I always “try” to buy not made in China. I also know it’s damn near impossible to not have products not made in China. The overall vast majority of products I own and or buy are NOT made in China.
LOL. Enjoy your new computers, no matter where they are made. Like your phones.

Back
Top Bottom