I've had it with wireless air integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used mechanical direct connection SPGs for about 40 years and several thousand dives. I have never had a single problem of any kind. Not one. I've never seen an SPG failure, though I've seen a few over the years leaking air. They continued to function, despite the trickle of bubbles which was probably caused by poor maintenance.

I would have said the same thing until February 9, when I witnessed Halcyon SPG explode when the tank was turned on. Of course the SPG was a backup for an Oceanic VT4, so nothing was lost except the SPG

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 03:02 PM ----------

Yes BUT...this is a discussion of Wireless connectivity not AI. My Cobalt provides me with the same data as your AI device but with less worry about disconnection. THAT's the issue here.

You're correct, I should have said wireless AI, I was imprecise. All the AIs mentioned in the thread were wireless AI, my mistake, sloppy

jagreenm has had a bad experience with an unnamed brand AI computer and asked if others had a different experience. Knackas, paulw and I reported a good experience with Oceanic AIs whereas trdacna has had a bad one. You have had a bad experience with your Suunto. It's simply what you get from those of us who follow the Scuba Equipment/Computer Forum here on SB.

Right, exactly. That was my point. Specifically, it's not possible to determine in a larger sense if wireless AI (WAI) is reliable without some real data, and when that data is anecdotal, I was just pointing out that a lot of the anecdotes are going to support the fact that they are reliable. What would be really helpful would be instrument specific real world data about failure rates, but I don't know if that is ever going to be available. Certainly not from the manufacturers!

Based on my very good experience with my AI, I trust it. That does not prevent me from diving a matched backup computer and a SPG.

Haha! In the words of Ronald Regan regarding negotiations with the Soviet Union, "Trust, yet verify". Ironically, that was originally an old Russian folk saying!

Personally, I enjoy the detailed gas consumption data and automatic calculation of my SRMV provided by my AI

That's exactly what I use mine for. I wouldn't dive without an analog SPG, though.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 03:38 PM ----------

I would have said the same thing until February 9, when I witnessed Halcyon SPG explode when the tank was turned on. Of course the SPG was a backup for an Oceanic VT4, so nothing was lost except the SPG

If I'm going to have my gas gauge fail, that's how I would want it to fail - as long as I wasn't looking at it at the time! :)

Much worse to have it go out during a dive, or worse still, to give a false reading (which mine has done).

Yes BUT...this is a discussion of Wireless connectivity not AI. My Cobalt provides me with the same data as your AI device but with less worry about disconnection. THAT's the issue here.

I love the idea that of having one less cable, but the thing works about as often as it doesn't. I've had this transmitter for a little over a year and had to send it in three times already. So frustrating! Anyone have a different experience?

I am sorry but the OP's question was about the transmitter failing, and asking if anyone has had a different experience, not about connectivity. I see your point that AI could be hose connected or wireless but since he ask about a transmitter I believed it was understood the discussion was about wireless so the answers are still correct, no issues are no issues and failed transmitters are failed.
I dont see the real issue here, I like mustard on my Hot dog and some like (must I say it) ketchup and that is what is I see in this "discussion", what one likes.
I am lucky enough to get to dive several times a week most of the time and several of the guys I dive with are wireless and several are using SPG's, I have only ever seen one failure each, one Mares Icon HD wrist unit went crazy but not the transmitter and one SPG that the needle stuck so as for my experience its even. I agree with dmoore19, if you don't trust it don't use it.

Paul

I've been diving wireless, air integrated since 2003. I still have my Aeris 750GT and although the date doesn't go past 2009, it still works like a champ. I have since purchased an Oceanic Atom 2.0 and an Aeris Datamask and have never experienced connectivity issues with any of them. I have logged 1500+ dives in every possible condition with these computers and will simply never go back to a hose. I understand your concerns but based on my experience, I'd say it's more of a product issue than a systemic issue with wireless air integrated computers.

To the OP

Maybe it is the receiver, not the transmitter?

I've seen two people have nothing but trouble with their Oceanic Datamasks disconnecting from their transmitters, where my Aeris Compumask (same thing) had no problems at all. Maybe bad units? Hard to say. All of these experiences are anecdotal of course.

scubadada:
Personally, I enjoy the detailed gas consumption data and automatic calculation of my SRMV provided by my AI

tridacna:

I am sorry but the OP's question was about the transmitter failing, and asking if anyone has had a different experience, not about connectivity.

Yeah, but tridacna was responding to scubadada's statement about the benefit of AI, and pointing out that while that's a benefit of AI, it has nothing to do with the question of connection failure of the wireless link.

Add 2 (two) Oceanic VT4s to the "they do ok" list. Ours will drop signal, but its clearly when our transmitter signal can't penetrated our bodies - ie hands in the beltbuckle position...do anything else, no signal loss...

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 03:02 PM ----------

You're correct, I should have said wireless AI, I was imprecise. All the AIs mentioned in the thread were wireless AI, my mistake, sloppy

Explode! Good heavens. That must have been quite a sight. Did the hose start thrashing like a free-basing serpent?

I assume that sort of thing is much less likely to happen with A/I computers because their air pressure sensors are far more robust than those found in an analog SPG.

Back
Top Bottom