It's art, Jim, but not as we know it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

You can ship things to the islands. I plan on shipping all my dive gear to the island before I arrive. Larger resolution as in larger dpi and larger in size. For a rule of thumb a good printable dpi is 300. The b/w images I print are typicaly 15-20 meg tiff files, color is around 40-50 meg tiff files.

The rebreather i'm looking at is the prism topaz. It uses standard 19 cubic ft scuba tanks. Fillable at any dive shop.

Ed

twice and carried on not shipped. The second time there was only him and one guest so they had the dornier to themselves so not much of a weight issue and plenty of fresh produce. The first time I think there was 8 of them.

On our trip there were 11 people and 6 or 7 took all their video stuff. Had to pay excess but the real fine was that there was no room for the greens - man did we consume salad when we got back to Majuro - and Tim and the gang got no mail! Fortunately Tim travelling with us had been before and took Pringles which placated Tim somewhat.....

They also appreciate DVD's and chocolate!

Jonathan

Yes, you can ship things to the island in advance. But who is to say you can get it back again on the same flight?

I do this for a living, Ed. I know what I am talking about.... :)

If 11 people turn up with rebreathers and camera gar the little plane will really struggle to get it all on.

Sure you can ship out your sofnalime in advance, but there is a risk that the big plane gets you there but doesn't get you back. What then? You would have 11 people arguing over what will go on the plane and what won't. You want to leave your rebreather in Bikini and have it shipped back to Majuro the next available flight, and then rely on someone to arrange shipment back to the States? I didn't think so!

And as Jonathan says, frssh food then does not get on the plane and you have to eat frozen broccoli for a week....

And anyway, Tim doesn't like people bringing rebreathers...

re the scans. No way am I gonna send you a 15 meg file by email!!! We only have ISDN in our neck of the woods. I will send you a high res scan but with the image small - say 800 pixels high. That way it will be of good quality but not much in the way of quantity.

I have done a lot of snapshots in black and white, and I love the way they turn out, they look almost unrealistic. Its great! Thanks for sharing these photos with us!:)

Kayla:)

I was fooling around in photoshop, and came up with some nice contrasts in mood. Interesting the differance it makes.

Opinions? Questions? Smart Remarks?
BWSealion.jpg

ColorSealion.jpg

Hello,

Not to bad. What did you use in photoshop?

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
Hello,

Not to bad. What did you use in photoshop?

Ed

The greyscale mode, adjust brightness/contrast, and the film grain filter. That's pretty much it!

Dee,

I just wanted to make it clear that the scratches and dust you see on your friends b&w prints are NOT the fault of the media. Given the same working conditions, color film is just as likely to become scratched or get dust on it.

A reason you will often see dust and scratches on b&w prints is the negative care and the cleanliness of the working area. Many b&w users develop and print at home or in a school darkroom, with b&w being much less expensive to set up than color processing. Color processing is generally done proffessionally or in more advanced home setups, where cleanliness is easier to maintain. When I had my darkroom set up back home in highschool, it was in my closet (and set up on a shoestring budge, might I add!!!) B&W is beautiful in that it needs no heating/temp control, prints can be done with a safelight on, it's relatively simple, simpler enlargers/lightheads... the list goes on and on!!!

As long as you protect film/negs from dust, take care not to scratch them, and blow the negative with a bit of canned air before printing, the dust/scratching is really minimized.

It's great to see that some people using black and white... Nice work Jim!! It is most definitely art! Did u develop and print yourself?

Whoa, I got a bit out of control there!! All I meant to say was, "Scratches and dust are not an inherent part of black and white film." Just defending one of my favorite mediums :)

DSAO,

Anthony

I remember those dark room days myself! Wonder if I could still thread film on a spool in the dark???

I tried moving this post for you but I can' find Jim's thread. If you'll lead me to it, I'll get it in the right spot for you!

Back
Top Bottom