It's art, Jim, but not as we know it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
While I was in Bikini last month I took a roll of 3200 ASA b&w print film along and took some pickies with it on the Apogon.

Here are a couple of shots, the one with the shark in has been "colourised" a little to give it some colour (which, in case you didn't know, is what colourising does!).

They're very grainy, obviously, but quite interesting. Well I think so anyway.

And thesre's no backscatter, so that should keep Ed happy! :wink:

apogonbw2.jpg

apogonbw3.jpg

Great photos....
Being a photo buff long before diving...it is nice to see someone using b&w. You can come up with some great stuff.

You might want to try Ilford...if you can find it...they have a film you can change ASA on while on the same roll.

And, i think it is kodak....has a b&w film you can shoot and use the standard c41 color processing. That comes in real handy on liveaboards that just have the c41 processing capability.

You might want to try Ilford...if you can find it...they have a film you can change ASA on while on the same roll.

This was Ilford Delta 3200 Professional. I can't change the film speed underwater on my housing, if I am not mistaken. I can push it +/- a little bit but that's about it.

I think this is a little too fast to be honest. Next time I will try something about half that speed. Still plenty of available light down there but it would retain some more detail. I can always blur it up if needs be on the computer! Or just take the picture out of focus!

I think the graininess actually is a good thing with these!

Question...In the second photo, underneath the second diver and shark, there's is what appears to be a thread or scratch on the negative. Is this common in B/W film? Reason I ask is I know a girl who takes alot of B/W shark photos and almost every single one has a thread/scratch somewhere on each exposure.

Hello,

awsome! no backscatter! :wink:

Most '3200' film is really 800 speed film. Have you thought about printing them with sepia think that would look awsome.

do you put copyright info into your images?

Ed

Wow. I have to agree, I think the graininess adds to the impact of the B&W. Love the shark photo.

Agree with RICHinNC that it's nice to see B/W. I've been a photographer slightly longer than I've been a diver (42 years). I did shoot my first underwater photos black-and-white but wasn't pleased with them. These are quite nice.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom