Ist Imperial Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjc1989ds

Reaction score
IST Imperial mask, anyone use one and able to comment if it is any good? Apparently it has a purge valve, how does the valve work?

If you do the "Sniff" technique and the mask stays on your face, does this mean the mask will definately work underwater? Thanks.

Most in mask purge valves use a one way mushroom valve. It allows air or water to move out the valve, but the "wagon wheel" under the valve prevents the valve from letting anything back in.

Small purge valves are pretty ineffective as it takes a long time to vent much water through them so you want one about 3/4" in diameter.

In-mask purge valve are nice with poorly fitting masks as if well designed the water will pool in the purge valve in a normal swimming position and an occassional exhalation through your nose will expel it. In a good fitting mask, they are redundant and serve no useful purpose in my opinion.

The sniff test works pretty well if you do it with a mouthpiece in your mouth. Obviously, whether or not you have a mouthpiece in your mouth changes the contour of your upper lip.

Thanks for your reply, if the purge is ineffective can the ordinary tilt head back etc technique still be used? sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I have never seen a purge valve before. Thanks again and best wishes,

KC

This seems to be the only mask that fits my face,and i have tried many.i think its brill.have u ever tried to use a snorkel without a purge valve on it,they work terrible.and i think the same about a mask without a purge valve.if water even trickles in,all u do is exhale through ur nose without ever using ur hands to lift mask to clear.i would highly recommend this mask(if it fits ur face)to anyone.also the one peice lense is also very good.:D

Although I've never used a purge mask, I know lots of people who do and they all love them. The only time I've heard of people having problems with purge valves is when they are in a low-volume, dual lens mask with the valve under the nose.

IST's masks are great and cost much less than name brand masks (which might be made right next to IST's). Be sure to try the mask on with a mouth piece, as well as move your jaw and lips around to see if the sniff test seal sticks.

I have been using these masks for almost 15 years & have never had an issue once you get use to being able to equalize, they are a hi volume mask so they are further from your eyes than any other mask but I have been to 65mtrs a number of times & no problem. You want to know more email me welshdiver@hotmail.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom