ProEar Mask Users: Need help with hood and tips in general!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyDiverOne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I really need some help with this. Due to a recurrent perf in my left ear, I'm going to try diving with the IST ProEar mask, this: IST Diving System :: RECREATIONAL :: MASKS :: Pro Ear Mask

I have tried the mask in the pool and, although the mask itself had a decent seal, the ear cups were not as sealed. I've read that wearing a hood might help with this but I've tried a couple of XL hoods (ScubaPro etc) and I can't even begin to get the hood over my head with the mask on. Putting the hood on first also doesn't work.

I would really appreciate (a) any tips re the hood issue, and (b) any other general tips re using the ProEars mask.

Many, many thanks.

Are you actually planning diving with a perforated ear drum using this mask? I am not sure whether that is a good idea as there will be good chances that ear cups will get some water, just like your mask leaks.
In a recent dive holiday, I dived with an older lady who was a great fan of this mask. She had a military style hair cut just so that she could keep the ears dry. She also had customised hood with two holes on the side. I suppose you could get smoothskin neopren hood and cut out holes your self.
Again, I would be cautios, if you have perforation, wait for it to heal fully. Keeping the ear dry us surely good but it is to prevent external ear infection, not so much to do with a perforation due middle ear barotrauma. If you are expecting that your middle ear/equalisation problems will be resolved with this mask, that might not be realistic.

I have been using this type of mask for over 12 years now and have no issue with using a hood over it.

The ear covers will not keep the ears 100% dry unless you are either bald or have a hairstyle like Kim Jong Un.

I agree with @Ucarkus that this mask is not a solution to diving with a perforated eardrum.

Back
Top Bottom