Isla Providencia opening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The latest word is that the island will be open to tourists on June 23rd. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Planning on a three week trip in August.

Interesting. I'd never heard of it. Online it looks like it's 8 square miles in area? What do you plan to do over the 3 weeks, and what led you to Isla Providencia?

I found cheap tickets to Colombia and looked up diving there. Some places off mainland Cartagena came up but then I read that Isla Providencia was the best place for diving in the area.

The best part of any vacation is getting to know the people and taking your time to really relax. We tend to stay at homestays and posadas so we can try to experience the life. Also, lots of walking, hanging out on the beach, day trips to other islands, snorkeling, sleeping late, hammocking, eating, finding a local dog to play fetch with, picking up a random game of football, lots of stuff. Immersive vacations are the best. Heck, if I can find a way to pitch in and help with construction I'll do that, too.

I found cheap tickets to Colombia and looked up diving there. Some places off mainland Cartagena came up but then I read that Isla Providencia was the best place for diving in the area.
Hope you enjoy it. Many years ago on a cruise we stopped at Cartagena, did a ship excursion to the Rosario Islands (there was sort of an outdoor aquarium there, with pens), then did an informal 'excursion' privately with the guide who drove us around the city, looking at various things (we passed a building that was used by the Inquisition, and saw one of the those women with the bowl of fruit on top her head). Neat looking place.

Richard.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I just hope they open and are in relatively decent shape by the time August roles around.

Somehow stumbled over Providencia as a destination about a month ago in my search for new destinations and came across your post today. Found a few reference to it in the South America page here, but nothing since the pandemic. Read one of the hurricanes in the Western Caribbean pretty much leveled it a few years back. Interested to hear how both topside and uw are faring. Who are you flying? I always like to have a few trips in the planning stage.

flying american to bogota, Latam to San Andres, and the local island hopper to PVA. Right now for 8/24 through 9/17 RT non-stop out of JFK is $292 basic economy. RT from bogota to PVA is $248.

I've spoken to a couple dive ops and the average for a 2 tank trip is around $50. Beach front lodging in a simple cabana with AC is around $70 for three people per night.

Eat, sleep, dive, repeat.

flying american to bogota, Latam to San Andres, and the local island hopper to PVA. Right now for 8/24 through 9/17 RT non-stop out of JFK is $292 basic economy. RT from bogota to PVA is $248.

I've spoken to a couple dive ops and the average for a 2 tank trip is around $50. Beach front lodging in a simple cabana with AC is around $70 for three people per night.

Eat, sleep, dive, repeat.

A person used to be able to fly from Panama City to San Andres. I gather that this is no longer the case?

A person used to be able to fly from Panama City to San Andres. I gather that this is no longer the case?
Not that I know of. I bought tickets to Bogota just in case we have to go to Santa Rosa instead. Or maybe San Andrés. I guess we'll just wing it.

American out of Miami?

Back
Top Bottom