Isla Providencia opening...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. American out of nyc.

American out of Miami?
American Eagle (Embraer 175) once a week on Saturdays to San Andres.
Went in late March to San Andres, very crowded. Flights from main land Columbia (2hrs in an A320) run about $70 one way and post Covid there is a large pent up demand to go on vacation.
Providencia was still closed. If it had been open I would have gone there.

Nope. American out of nyc.
During Covid they ran that flight from DFW to BOG in a 777. Took the second to last flight down prior to it being shifted back to JFK on 3/27. Wife and I got an upgrade to first class, very enjoyable.

Copa has direct flights from Panama City to San Andres but they may be seasonal.

American Eagle (Embraer 175) once a week on Saturdays to San Andres.
Went in late March to San Andres, very crowded. Flights from main land Columbia (2hrs in an A320) run about $70 one way and post Covid there is a large pent up demand to go on vacation.
Providencia was still closed. If it had been open I would have gone there.
ColOmbia

I found cheap tickets to Colombia and looked up diving there. Some places off mainland Cartagena came up but then I read that Isla Providencia was the best place for diving in the area.

The best part of any vacation is getting to know the people and taking your time to really relax. We tend to stay at homestays and posadas so we can try to experience the life. Also, lots of walking, hanging out on the beach, day trips to other islands, snorkeling, sleeping late, hammocking, eating, finding a local dog to play fetch with, picking up a random game of football, lots of stuff. Immersive vacations are the best. Heck, if I can find a way to pitch in and help with construction I'll do that, too.
How was it? I love Providencia, that’s where I did my AOW. Been dying to go back. Who did you dive with and where did you stay ? Are the restaurants and hotels coming back to life ?

How was it? I love Providencia, that’s where I did my AOW. Been dying to go back. Who did you dive with and where did you stay ? Are the restaurants and hotels coming back to life ?
We don't go until August. From what I understand, tourists are slowly making their way back to the island.
I haven't decided on a shop yet but considering Felipe's and a newish op called Anda Di Wata. Nice couple with their own gear and boat. They'd only been operating for 7 months before Hurricane Iona wiped out the island.
Staying at an airbnb called Hi Hill House. Seems central and the property looks gorgeous.
When were you there? Did you stay for long? What were your impressions overall?

I'll def write something up when I get back.

The latest word is that the island will be open to tourists on June 23rd. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. Planning on a three week trip in August.

Nice,

I had been planning a trip to San Andrés and/or Providencia prior to COVID, but never got back around to it. Still on my list though...

Hope you have a great time and are able to post some details about your experiences after you return!

We don't go until August. From what I understand, tourists are slowly making their way back to the island.
I haven't decided on a shop yet but considering Felipe's and a newish op called Anda Di Wata. Nice couple with their own gear and boat. They'd only been operating for 7 months before Hurricane Iona wiped out the island.
Staying at an airbnb called Hi Hill House. Seems central and the property looks gorgeous.
When were you there? Did you stay for long? What were your impressions overall?

I'll def write something up when I get back.
It has great diving but I haven't been there since the hurricane. When I went there I was scheduled to dive with Felipes but I learned that they fed sharks so I switched to Sonnys that doesn't do that. Just before I got there a lady diving with one of the dive shops that feeds sharks was bitten, I'm pretty sure it was Felipes. There's plenty of sharks there and no need to be feeding them IMHO.

Colombia is a real friendly country but Providencia and San Andres are kind of outliers and don't resemble the rest of the country. The people on these islands can be kind of stand offish like in other islands but I still love it there.

How are you getting to Providencia? I got there by a high speed catamaran and it was really rough that day so it took longer than normal, I think it took us 4 hours. I was about the only person who didn't puke. On the way back we took a plane and it was about 20 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom