Isla Mujeres whale shark season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troy_v

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When is the typical season for snorkeling with whale sharks off of Isla Mujeres?

The official opening date for the Whale Shark Tour season is set beginning June1, 2015 and the closing date of the season is September15, 2015. Anyone offering to take you outside of these dates is running illegal tours.

The official opening date for the Whale Shark Tour season is set beginning June1, 2015 and the closing date of the season is September15, 2015. Anyone offering to take you outside of these dates is running illegal tours.

But don't be surprised if they don't show up until a bit later, and have left the area by mid-late August.

PS This information is just what I've read. We've never seen them, which is one of my few regrets in life. Because of job/vacation schedules, we typically visit Playa and Cozumel in late March and early April. We are now boss woman and myself. My regret is because we were there one July, while our boys were still at home, and traveled and dove with us, and I didn't take the time and spend the money to take all of us to see them.

I'll share my other regrets if you (meaning anyone), buy me enough drinks.

But don't be surprised if they don't show up until a bit later, and have left the area by mid-late August.

PS This information is just what I've read. We've never seen them, which is one of my few regrets in life. Because of job/vacation schedules, we typically visit Playa and Cozumel in late March and early April. We are now boss woman and myself. My regret is because we were there one July, while our boys were still at home, and traveled and dove with us, and I didn't take the time and spend the money to take all of us to see them.
Try somewhere else - like:

Utila:

2015 Whale Shark research weeks

April 4 - 11
April 11 - 18
April 18 - 25
April 25 - May 2

Deep Blue Utila - swim with whale sharks at our all inclusive resort. Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras

or

Belize:

2015 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

March 5th to March 14th
April 4th to April 13th

Belize Scuba Diving - Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Belize Whale Shark Diving

You can even dive with them in Belize.

We were there in July. There were a tremendous amount of whale sharks there. It was constant like standing in a train yard as the trains rolled through in all different directions. We chartered boats from the Keen M International.

They were terrific and the boats are a nice comfortable size.

But for anyone who has been out on a busy day, don't you find it a little sad? Lots of little boats swarming all the gentle whale sharks trying to eat their tuna eggs? Most had cuts in their dorsal fins. One poor fella looked like he has a pompom on his back, with fin cut so many times it was just strips of fin. I even saw one come by that looked to have just taken a dorsal hit, fresh and red. I don't mean to say the boats aren't careful, but when you drive through a group of WS on the surface it is going to happen. So while I was amazed to be so close to the whales, I felt a little sad too.

I was on the boat with cvchief, and I'll certainly agree there were LOTS of whale sharks. I actually got run into by one while I was paying attention to another.

The season runs from around may 15th - Sept 15th. the dates can change by about a week though. This year there was a delay in the permits being issued so the official season started in early June. I do lots of whale shark tours leaving from Cozumel. The best time to see the whale sharks is in July and August near a full moon. There is some talk of new rules next year governing the whale sharks.

That's too bad.

Off Maui when the humpbacks are there - the larger boats that do the cruises are: "Equipped with U.S. Coast Guard-approved Whale Protection Devices"

I think it means the props are shrouded but I'm not sure.

Meet our Vessels | pacificwhale.org

It's the same as hurricane season. :shocked2:

Because of job/vacation schedules, we typically visit Playa and Cozumel in late March and early April. We are now boss woman and myself. My regret is because we were there one July, while our boys were still at home, and traveled and dove with us, and I didn't take the time and spend the money to take all of us to see them.
It's worth it to fly down for a long weekend, just to swim with the Dominoes. :wink:

Wait, you're at the edge of the continent. It's difficult to get to the Yucatan from there. Sorry...

But for anyone who has been out on a busy day, don't you find it a little sad? Lots of little boats swarming all the gentle whale sharks trying to eat their tuna eggs? Most had cuts in their dorsal fins. One poor fella looked like he has a pompom on his back, with fin cut so many times it was just strips of fin. I even saw one come by that looked to have just taken a dorsal hit, fresh and red. I don't mean to say the boats aren't careful, but when you drive through a group of WS on the surface it is going to happen. So while I was amazed to be so close to the whales, I felt a little sad too.
That does sound dreadful. :( The two days I did it were out of Holbox. It was a long boat ride out and the water was murky, but there was plenty of room between boats, between the giants. IM may be better for getting to them in clear water, but this is typical of how the country treats sharks of any specie.

That's too bad.

Off Maui when the humpbacks are there - the larger boats that do the cruises are: "Equipped with U.S. Coast Guard-approved Whale Protection Devices"

I think it means the props are shrouded but I'm not sure.

Meet our Vessels | pacificwhale.org

Interesting. I noticed the Papa Hog's boat is sporting a prop shroud since their incident. That would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom