Isla Mujeres vs Puerto Morelos Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife & her friend want us to all go to Cancun in September and have narrowed down to a resort in Isla Mujeres (not on is island though, on the mainland) and a place near Puerto Morelos.

I hope to get some diving in, while they do spa/beach things. Is one of the other significantly better for diving?

I have not done tourist diving off Isla but I'd bet Puerto Morelos has nicer dive sites.

Cancun is awesome! We have 2 wrecks C58 and C55. Our deep sites are 50 feet deep with massive amounts of fish sharks and turtles! Our shallow sites (isla mujeres) 30 feet deep, have the underwater museum with hundreds of statues and reefs filled with incredible amounts and variety of marine life! Check us out at Manta Divers !

If you decide on Puerto Morelos I would recommend "Dive in Puerto Morelos". I got certified there in 2005 and the owner Brett Nielsen was great, so was the diving!

If you decide on Puerto Morelos I would recommend "Dive in Puerto Morelos". I got certified there in 2005 and the owner Brett Nielsen was great, so was the diving!
I believe he is gone. A lady that worked with him runs a shop south of the city center 2nd street back and also owns the air fill place.

His website is still active and looks up to date...I know it used to be called "Dive Puerto Morelos" then Brett bought the place and changed the name to "Dive in Puerto Morelos". I hope he is still there...

My wife and I dived with Dive in Puerto Morelos back in 2010. The wreck of the C56, Juan Escutia was a nice dive as were several of the reef dives.

His website is still active and looks up to date...I know it used to be called "Dive Puerto Morelos" then Brett bought the place and changed the name to "Dive in Puerto Morelos". I hope he is still there...
I may be wrong but Cettina Cantu who is showing as his divemaster is running another shop, Dorado Buceo Cettina and me - Picture of Dorado Buceo, Puerto Morelos - TripAdvisor. We did a day or two with them in January and they treated us well. Cettina is a nice lady.

Tulaka is a great shop in Puerto Morelos that is no good at marketing but very good at diving. I think they would prefer to take you cavern or cave diving but they do very well on the local ocean sites. Both Dorado and Tulaka provide better diving for less money than the more well known shops in Puerto Morelos, in my opinion.

Isla Mujeres is a great little island, beautiful beaches, lots of good restaurants. However, diving is just ok. I have not dove PM though, so I can't compare.

Isla Mujeres is a great little island, beautiful beaches, lots of good restaurants. However, diving is just ok. I have not dove PM though, so I can't compare.

Puerto Morelos has some beautiful easy shallow reefs with a ton of fish. Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom