Question June Tulum Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not complete protection.
Open ended 10% renter is responsible for.
Approx $30,000 liability coverage. What happens after the max is reached?
Ah, that's makes a difference -- once you add Mex Rent a Car's "Total Coverage" it's more like $40 a day. Still not a bad deal. And I agree that everyone can make their own risk assessment, but it's helpful to know the options.

With a car you can easily buzz over to Coba or someplace if you want to get around readily.

The whale shark harassment adventure is snorkeling, not diving.

I'll mention again that you'll be fairly close to Mahahual/Xcalak and a pristine diving experience at Banco Chinchorro. I can't imagine why anyone would want to dive Playa/Akumal/Tulum instead, but no accounting for taste.

I'll mention again that you'll be fairly close to Mahahual/Xcalak and a pristine diving experience at Banco Chinchorro. I can't imagine why anyone would want to dive Playa/Akumal/Tulum instead, but no accounting for taste.
How often do they actually dive Chinchoro?
The prevailing winds create poor conditions most of the year.
I was told that if I wanted to dive the banks, I would need to come in the summer when there was a better chance of proper conditions.

How often do they actually dive Chinchoro?
The prevailing winds create poor conditions most of the year.
I was told that if I wanted to dive the banks, I would need to come in the summer when there was a better chance of proper conditions.
Who told you that? Chinchorro is accessible year round. I've been there a dozen times, and never in the summer. Getting out there is wind/weather dependent, just like any dive site in the Yucatan.

Heiko with Amigos del Mar probably averages 4 trips per week year round.

XTC does trips when they have enough demand.

Tritones also does on demand trips

I wasn't referring to cenotes, completely different animal. The OP specifically asked for saltwater diving recommendations.
Well once you hit about 70’….

Who told you that? Chinchorro is accessible year round. I've been there a dozen times, and never in the summer. Getting out there is wind/weather dependent, just like any dive site in the Yucatan.

Heiko with Amigos del Mar probably averages 4 trips per week year round.

XTC does trips when they have enough demand.

Tritones also does on demand trips

Thanks for the info, mine is out of date

Probably too late cuz you're probably already there, but for anyone else thinking of going to Riviera Maya:
Stay at one of the cheaper all-inclusives in Cancun. Eat your breakfast there, travel down to Tulum or Playa del Carmen or Puerto Aventuras to dive and then come back to your all-inclusive dinner, drinks, etc. each night. Here's how. Day 1 - take your dive gear on the Cancun city bus (less than a US dollar) to downtown Cancun to the stop nearest the Collectivo. Then take the Collectivo down to whichever town your dive guide wants to meet you in. The Collectivo is a van service that basically charges by the seat for however far you want to ride it down the highway. It's about $2 US. The first day you will have all your gear, so on the way down you'll want to buy 1 or 2 extra seats for your gear so you don't have to hold it all on your lap as the van fills up with more passengers. Then, after your dives, leave your gear with your dive guide for the next day. On the way back you'll only need one seat on the Collectivo. total transit cost $10.
Day 2 - Bus, Collectivo, dive, dive, Collectivo, bus, eat, drink, be merry. Transit cost $6
Day 3 through N-1 - repeat Day 2 (preferably at different cenotes). Transit cost $6 per day
Day N (last dive day) - Bus, Collectivo, dive, dive, gather all your gear, pack up, tip your guide, buy a couple extra seats for your gear, Collectivo, bus, hang your gear to dry, relax. Transit cost $10.
Day N+1 - enjoy your hotel's amenities and pack for your trip home.
This plan also works great if you have a non-diver spouse, family, or other travel companions because they will remain entertained, safe, fed, watered, and happy at the resort while you are off in the jungle diving, and you still get to spend significant time together every evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom