Is Vandenberg worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from my trip to Key West. I dove the Vandenberg in less than ideal conditions (20-25 ft vis and a 3 knot current) and it was one of my favorite dives I have done.

If you are looking for a colorful and vibrant stroll through a wonderful reef, then this is not what you are looking for. But it would still be great to do just once. I personally love reef life also, but the mystique of this dive, and the scale of the ship was amazing.

There is a cool video on youtube called "Defending the Vandenberg" filmed with freedivers. Check it out if you are at all interested in this dive.

I got my wreck specialty out of the way on this trip, and the personalized tour of the Vandy was very nice.

Be careful on the day you choose to go. It can be very, very advanced. (We went and picked up a wayward diver from another charter. She had slipped from the drop line and could not swim against the current to grab it again. The other boat had divers down and we were on our interval.)

I've seen that happen at the Spiegel Grove, if it happens to any body, just hope there is another mooring line down current, so you can grab it.

The Vandy is VERY worth it. Now some days the vis/current isn't ideal, it's just hit or miss. i was on her Saturday while the water changed from green to blue and vis changed from 40 to 70 during the dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom