Is Vandenberg worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the Vandenberg this Sunday with a group of divers from FIU, very nice conditions, 70-80+Viz, 1-2knt current. You won't find as much fish and sea life as you find on the SG and Duane, but again this is new a wreck

Here is a video that I put together.
YouTube - FIU dive the USNS Vandenberg (make sure you watch it on HD 720p)

Jose G.

You did a great job w/ this video - really excellent!

You had fantastic conditions on the wreck, too (not my favorite dive; however if we had had conditions like you experienced, maybe a different story) Thanks for posting your video

Hello -

I am planning a two day touch'n'go trip to the Keys. I have the option of staying and diving in Key Largo which I have done previously and enjoyed to the max! Or going to Key West to dive the Vandenberg. Is Vandenberg better diving than Key Largo dive sites?

It's not worth it on an aluminum 80, and it's not worth it if you can't do deco. :)
IMO

Thnx for the video

I dove the Vandenberg this Sunday with a group of divers from FIU, very nice conditions, 70-80+Viz, 1-2knt current. You won't find as much fish and sea life as you find on the SG and Duane, but again this is new a wreck

Jose G.

you can embed it here in HD using the [ youtubehd ] tags (no spaces)

here ya go.

[youtubehq]UmLMVi4Zi3w[/youtubehq]

Jose G.

Nice video! It looks like it got a lot "fuzzier" than the last time I was there! (it also looks like Captains Corner painted their boat since the last time I was on it)

Thanks for posting!

Watching the video makes me want to go back.

I dove the Vandenberg solo for over two hours on September 22nd and I thought it was awesome, even with a ripping current. After going through the superstructure, I went down the hold in front of the pilothouse. I dropped to the bottom and started exploring one deck at a time going up through the stairways. There was a lot to see, crews quarters bathrooms, workshops, elevator shafts etc.

I went with Subtropic Divers and they were totally cool with me going solo, and taking a lot of time. I paid a little extra up front. There were three other divers using single 80s, who were supposed to do a double dip, but one had ear trouble (the guide), so they only did 16 minutes total on the wreck. I'd say that I saw about 1/3 of the wreck. I'd love to do it again.

I also dove the Duane and Spiegel Grove with no current at all. I did my first dive with Horizon Divers which was good, but they were less than cooperative on the following days. So much so that I lost a full days diving and decided to go elsewhere for the remaining days. The Captain tried his best to discourage the other two divers from going out even though all the other dive boat operators had gone out in conditions that "weren't the worst and weren't the best", according to what I heard on the VHF radio. I suspected that he didn't think he would have enough tip money with only three divers on board. Another employee there said he didn't care because after 7 hours he would be on vacation. I told him that I was on vacation now and I cared a lot. I don't think I would ever use them again or recomend them. I ended up going with Conch Republic Divers to go to the Spiegel grove.

I just returned from my trip to Key West. I dove the Vandenberg in less than ideal conditions (20-25 ft vis and a 3 knot current) and it was one of my favorite dives I have done.

If you are looking for a colorful and vibrant stroll through a wonderful reef, then this is not what you are looking for. But it would still be great to do just once. I personally love reef life also, but the mystique of this dive, and the scale of the ship was amazing.

There is a cool video on youtube called "Defending the Vandenberg" filmed with freedivers. Check it out if you are at all interested in this dive.

I got my wreck specialty out of the way on this trip, and the personalized tour of the Vandy was very nice.

Be careful on the day you choose to go. It can be very, very advanced. (We went and picked up a wayward diver from another charter. She had slipped from the drop line and could not swim against the current to grab it again. The other boat had divers down and we were on our interval.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom