Is Vandenberg worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I am planning a two day touch'n'go trip to the Keys. I have the option of staying and diving in Key Largo which I have done previously and enjoyed to the max! Or going to Key West to dive the Vandenberg. Is Vandenberg better diving than Key Largo dive sites?

The Vandenberg is a great site. The shear size of it is impressing. Of course in Key Largo you have a selection of wrecks to choose from. The Vandenberg like any of the Key wrecks is subject to current and varying visibility. My choice, I would go to the Vandenberg at least once. Depending on your level of training there are some great opportunities for penetration there too. But even if you just survey the outside it is worth seeing.

What is your personal definition of "better"?

How can you compare a giant ship to Key Largo's reefs? You say you have enjoyed "Key Largo dive sites", which ones?

I am not personally really into wreck diving, but I made two drops on the Vandy and totally loved it. The dishes are massive and something you won't see elsewhere.

There was not a lot of current the day I dove her, but if there had been, it would really be an advanced dive. And, of course, it's pretty deep so you need to watch bottom time, air mix and gas consumption. Are you up for that?

What is your personal definition of "better"?

How can you compare a giant ship to Key Largo's reefs? You say you have enjoyed "Key Largo dive sites", which ones?

I am into photography so, better for me would mean photo-opportunities. This rules out penetration to a large extent. I enjoyed reefs in Key Largo but not as much as Spiegel Grove. Amazing dive! I was told that its not the best wreck dive there as Duane and Bibb are better even though they are smaller. I was planning to do them but then a friend of mine told me ever since Vandenberg went down, Key Largo is not the best dive destination in the Keys. Instead it is Key West now. Would like to know if that is true for everyone else as well?:idk:

a friend of mine told me ever since Vandenberg went down, Key Largo is not the best dive destination in the Keys. Instead it is Key West now. :idk:
Your friend is wrong.
Key Weird reefs are often cloudy and poor viz.
I still like it there very much, but the greater Key Largo area has much better reefs, wrecks and variety.
I have not hit the Vandy as yet but it is on my list for next Summer.
However, if you go out to the Marquesas and distant reefs, it is quite nice.
Chug
Likes it all.

Well as Debby Diver says, it depends on what you like.

I do not particularly like wreck dives. Wrecks seem just like piles of junk to me. Now there are wrecks that are old enough to be encrusted with marine life making them essentially reefs like the RMS Rhone. Other wrecks can be hangouts for large fish. I know of a small wreck that has a 2 big goliath groupers and a huge greeen moray.

But usually I prefer the shallow reefs around Key Largo to the wrecks. But that is me.

I am into photography so, better for me would mean photo-opportunities.
Again, what are "better" photo opps? Depends on whether you like to shoot reefs or wrecks. It's really an apples v. hotdogs thing.

OTOH, if you want to dive the surrounding area and not just the wreck, Key Weird's reefs are very lacking, as Chug wrote. For a total immersion experience, I personally prefer the upper Keys. You could always do a day trip to the Vandy and spend the rest of the week in Key Largo.

I was planning to do them but then a friend of mine told me ever since Vandenberg went down, Key Largo is not the best dive destination in the Keys. Instead it is Key West now. Would like to know if that is true for everyone else as well?:idk:

I have never heard anyone claim that Key West has nicer reefs than Largo. The consensus seems to be that Key West's reefs are not nearly as healthy as the Key Largo area reefs.

However, if one is in Key West, they can take a 45 minute drive up to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary, which is amazing.

I think everyone should see the Vandenburg once. I like coral reefs better than wrecks so next time I am in just for reef diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom