Is this video real? 293ft on air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mortality for oxygen induced seizures with open circuit SCUBA at depths greater than 150 is very high

I'm guessing that the mortality for oxygen induced seizures is very high at any depth. If you pass out under water your chances aren't good even at 30' and I'm sure there are tech divers who oxtox above 150 by breathing the wrong deco gas.

Karl, you are right AND very wrong with your satement. If you are only considering oxygen toxicity units (OTU), then it is true that a long duration of exposure to ppo2 of 1.4 to 1.6 can incur a higher number of OTU's than a short duration exposure to a ppo2 of 2.1. BUT......IF you are looking total risk, You must factor in risk of a oxygen induced seizure. The mortality for oxygen induced seizures with open circuit SCUBA at depths greater than 150 is very high ("23 deaths in 29 verified USN occurences" - USN diving medicine sylabus). Although the risk of a seizure increases with time, it is not unheard of to have the seizure occur after a very short exposure to high ppo2. Conversely, it is exceedingly rare to see an oxygen induced seizure occur with a ppo2 less than 1.6 (regardless of duration of exposure).
Yes, if you get an oxygen induced seizure with conventional O/C gear the likelyhood of survival is passing small, but I should point out that your statment is missleading, since there has never been a single such occurance in the science community, desite all the air diving that we've done between 150 and 190.

As Capt. Scotty said, Hall Watts former owner of Forty Fathom Grotto in Ocala, FL set some world records back in the day diving on just air. Here's a copy/paste from the PSIA website.

"Founded in 1962 by a “legend” such as Hall Watts, the PSAI - Professional Scuba Association International - is based on the personal history, the desire to share his knowledge and the love for this sport of its founder.

He is the one who coined the famous sentence: Plan your dive - Dive your plan!

Hall, devoted to the development of diving technique for extended range diving, set in 1967 the World’s Depth Record by diving on air to 119m and still holds the World's Record Deep Air Cave Dive with 125m of penetration. Pioneer of deep diving exploration, Hall is also the founder of the celebrated Forty Fanthom Scubapros team and has trained other seven Deep Record Divers."

halemanō;5192305:
Are you saying no one would post video on YT and still not care what anyone thinks?
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. They might not be receptive to criticism or scolding, and I would feel the same way, but to some degree I think they were motivated to impress--or outrage, maybe--other people. Otherwise, why post the video?

How many people trained under Hal Watts back in the day?

LOL,. You mean the ones he didn't kill? Or the ones the the Navy refused to retrieve?

As Capt. Scotty said, Hall Watts former owner of Forty Fathom Grotto in Ocala, FL set some world records back in the day diving on just air. Here's a copy/paste from the PSIA website.

"Founded in 1962 by a “legend” such as Hall Watts, the PSAI - Professional Scuba Association International - is based on the personal history, the desire to share his knowledge and the love for this sport of its founder.

He is the one who coined the famous sentence: Plan your dive - Dive your plan!

Hall, devoted to the development of diving technique for extended range diving, set in 1967 the World’s Depth Record by diving on air to 119m and still holds the World's Record Deep Air Cave Dive with 125m of penetration. Pioneer of deep diving exploration, Hall is also the founder of the celebrated Forty Fanthom Scubapros team and has trained other seven Deep Record Divers."

That makes me laugh. Surely you know his complete history right? Like him killing two groups of people almost two weeks in a row, or the fact that there's a perfect watering hole that is closed forever because of the deaths....errr dives he led in it in Orlando.

Yes, if you get an oxygen induced seizure with conventional O/C gear the likelyhood of survival is passing small, but I should point out that your statment is missleading, since there has never been a single such occurance in the science community, desite all the air diving that we've done between 150 and 190.

Thalssamania, with due respect to your extensive diving experience, your statement is not correct. I have consulted on the post mortem examination of a diver who had proximate cause of death ruled as drowning caused by oxygen induced sezure (he was a NOAA research diver). I also was a witness for the defense in a lawsuit involving a SCUBA manufacturer and a diver who had an O2 induced seizure at depth resulting in severe anoxic brain injury. The plantiff in this case survived 18 months after his injury. He died due to pulmonary complications after being ventilator dependent since the time of his accident. In both cases divers were using conventional open circuit gear. Both cases were determined to be a result of switching to deco gas instead of travel gas. Both divers were witnessed seizing at depth. Both with deco second stages deployed. These are just the cases in which I have had personal involvement.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the mortality for oxygen induced seizures is very high at any depth. If you pass out under water your chances aren't good even at 30' and I'm sure there are tech divers who oxtox above 150 by breathing the wrong deco gas.

One trick I advocate is using a "different" mouthpiece for your deco gas. I use the moldable Seacure mouthpiece for everything except I use a comfobite for my deco. This is NOT to be used instead of other gas management safeguards! I just think that it is one more safety measure. It is a tactile cue that the deco reg is in your mouth. If that last stop gap measure does save me....great (but it will be time to take a serious look at my diving practices).

Is it possible to build a tolerance to Nitrogen narcosis the more you dive deeper?
Yes for sure.Even if the dive cartel is now trying to mislead all of us into believing that "no,you're narked out of you skull anyway,it's just that you don't realize it.So do us a favour and put some helium in your mix whenever you go deeper than 30m.Don't worry,we have helium to sell and we also sell courses for you to use it in all safety"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom