Is this video real? 293ft on air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hawaii 'Ohana has already had it's say on this video;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/229983-300-ft-dive-who.html

My first post on that thread was #111; below is #112...

halemanō;3529570:
OK, now for the real reason I joined this thread; I talked with Adam the other day, Zoli's bald headed buddy. They are both Hungarian CMAS divers, and Andy talked about doing 100 meters during his training back home (with single 80's). He is mid to late thirties and in excellent physical shape. I invited him to join our discussion, but he did not act interested, did not even know what SB was. He said his goal for the dive was 90 meters and I did not get the impression he had any cares what anybody else feels about their dives or Zoli's video posts.
:popcorn:

Zoli is currently working in NY, so no new videos are planned. Andy's attitude was a contrast to my attitude about 50' running spread eagle gainer preacher seats into the waterfall or double gainers from 65', when talking to three of the worlds best cliff divers one year at Waimea Falls Park. Having those guys tell me I'm crazy was one of the biggest compliments of my life! Adam seemed unconcerned with anything other than successfully pulling off an easy 90 meter dive. I'd have to say from what I gathered, they really did the dive and they really don't care what you think.
:mooner:

Last edited:
halemanō;5192128:
I'd have to say from what I gathered, they really did the dive and they really don't care what you think.
They must care what some people think, though--they did take video and post it on YouTube.

Posted this video on here a couple of weeks ago. This guy rated all of my youtube videos as one star after I told him that he needs to get training and that he is an idiot for or suicidal...so I posted this on TDS 2-days ago...to which he has now received lots of "feedback" If he wants to kill himself..cool, but don't encourage other people via youtube to do it.

Post 10 in the Hawai'i Ohana thread suggests that they also have a patch of thin skin somewhere....

Here we go again... :popcorn: :popcorn:

I agree with Halemano. They don't care what we think, they're in it to do it, not for pats on the back. I'm only mad because they focused the damn camera on the guy's wrist, completely missing every species of fish/coral/whatever else is down there.

Well, assuming the ox tox was not a problem what about nitrogen narcosis at that depth? They don't seem too affected by it. Is it possible to build a tolerance to Nitrogen narcosis the more you dive deeper?

Well, assuming the ox tox was not a problem what about nitrogen narcosis at that depth? They don't seem too affected by it. Is it possible to build a tolerance to Nitrogen narcosis the more you dive deeper?
Yes.:D

A PPO2 of 2.1 certainly isn't recommended, as mentioned a few times on this thread the missing factor is the time at that PPO2, effectively it's a cumulative concentration which caused CNS oxygen toxicity.

If fact hitting a PPO2 of 2.1 for a few minutes is much less dangerous than hitting a PPO2 of 1.4 or 1.6 for a longer period - tables or software will tell you how long is equivilent :wink: Not that I'd ever recommend getting to a PPO2 of 2.1 :)

You'll generally find most people who have suffered a high PPO2 hit (usually due to incorrect switches on deco bottles) have been breathing that gas for quite a while before they take the hit, it's rarely instantaneous unless you're CNS clock is already full :wink:

So in short, it certainly not unrealistic to get to near 300ft on air and make it back without taking a hit, it's just being plain stupid! In fact posting it on youtube afterward is a bit like telling everyone "I'm stupid and I've got a video to prove it...." Let just hope they don't try to break 300ft next time!

Karl, you are right AND very wrong with your satement. If you are only considering oxygen toxicity units (OTU), then it is true that a long duration of exposure to ppo2 of 1.4 to 1.6 can incur a higher number of OTU's than a short duration exposure to a ppo2 of 2.1. BUT......IF you are looking total risk, You must factor in risk of a oxygen induced seizure. The mortality for oxygen induced seizures with open circuit SCUBA at depths greater than 150 is very high ("23 deaths in 29 verified USN occurences" - USN diving medicine sylabus). Although the risk of a seizure increases with time, it is not unheard of to have the seizure occur after a very short exposure to high ppo2. Conversely, it is exceedingly rare to see an oxygen induced seizure occur with a ppo2 less than 1.6 (regardless of duration of exposure).

Back
Top Bottom