Is this video real? 293ft on air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose that puts the distance in perspective--for football fans, anyway--but for the analogy to hold the field would have to be lit only from the home end zone, with no light from above, and you'd be assessing the light level at the visitor's end.

Wait -- Are the Cowboys winning or losing?

I need to know, you see, so I know if it's a dark day or not.

On point, it's very obvious to me reading the responses between DiverDoug and Thalassamania which one has earned his stripes in the scientific community, and his name is not an alliteration.

Who said anything about these dives being made on air? I would not think twice about diving to 190 on air (rather use trimix if available). As far as the USN syllabus, it does not address max. depth, or breathing gas. I would doubt that any of the seizures occured near 150' for the divers if on air. I would also be supprised if most of these divers were USN.

Last edited:
Er ... Doug, ... what's the title of this thread?

Go back and read my post, it was dicussing increased risk of exposure at a high po2 versus time and accumulated OTU"S, not necessarily on air. The name of the thread had nothing to do with my original comment. Threads frequently stray from the OP's comment/question. With respect to the thread, if you want to continue on a different one we can, but I agree this one has been thoroughly highjacked.

Last edited:
I've made every attempt to stay on topic with a discussion that was focused on deep diving on air.

Fine, on an air dive to 293', ppo2 of 2.05. In the past 10 years we have done 9,256 hyperbaric treatments. Of those patients, 2,578 had a maximum ppo2 of treatment between 2.0and 2.2. Seven of those patients had seizures. 2 were male, 5 female. These patients were usually normothermic, and not physically exerting themselves. But, they were frequently physically debilitated. If any estimation of risk of oxygen induced seizure can be made from this patient population, the incidence of having an O2 seizure at 293' on air would be low. As the treatment ppO2 increases, the seizure incidence greatly increases. It is unkown if subjects in a hyperbaric chamber are a good analog for divers when studying oxygen toxicity and HPNS. They have been shown to be a reliable analog for studying microbubble formation when stratified for core temperature and heart rate (we record the divers core temp and HR at resolution of the dive, and record carotid and precordial doppler signatures, then we subsequently put the same divers in the chamber, and try to replicate the dive profile, and again record doppler signatures). Of course , these days, any studies on seizure threshold must be done retrospectively due to risk of the seizure (outside of porcine and canine analogs). We can't just throw a few seamen in the pot and crank it like they did in the good old days.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could use a Spare Air at 293 feet?

I know a guy who used a spare air to dive the Titanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom