Is this tank too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icestac,

Which Atlanta shop is selling old 72's? I think I might just get a couple of those instead...

Just an anecdote - I had five of these 72s come my way a couple of years ago. Similar story - manufactured in the 60s and early 70s, stored pressurized in a heated warehouse, last hydros in early to mid 80s.

One looked very good but had severe rust under the boot. The other four were in very good condition, two of them required a light tumbling and the other two were in pristine condition internally. Only two of the four passed hydro.

Tte 10 I have all passed hydro in the last year. the oldest is 1957, the newest are 1978. Many get failed because the hydro facility does not follow the pre test round out procedure.

Hey watch the Jvalve cracks. Some of us bought them new and used them with backplates before backplates were all techy.

Seriously the 72 steel is a good tank. If you think the new dive shop in Tuscaloosa is up and running see if he'll take $50 on the condition that it passes inspection. By the time you drive it over here to get it checked, you'll have wasted the difference in gas.

Just an anecdote - I had five of these 72s come my way a couple of years ago. Similar story - manufactured in the 60s and early 70s, stored pressurized in a heated warehouse, last hydros in early to mid 80s.

One looked very good but had severe rust under the boot. The other four were in very good condition, two of them required a light tumbling and the other two were in pristine condition internally. Only two of the four passed hydro.

For 2 out 4 steel 72 tanks fail…there are only three likely possibilities that I can think of:
1. They where badly rusted, but you said they weren’t
2. They where in a fire at some point
3. Someone screwed up the hydro. Including not following the round out procedure as specified by PST…like Captain mentioned.

A very unlikely but fourth possible reason for this failure rate could be excessive overfills for many cycles.

Just the statistical probabilities don’t support that failure rate unless there was physical damage shared by the failed tanks… not impossible, but improbable.

A hydro test facility once condemned three steel 72 of mine. After I looked at their hydro test data, they replaced all three tanks with the best steel 72 they could find.

One other thing, now that I'm thinking about it. Isn't the old steel 72 slightly smaller in diameter than an aluminum 80 or the HP72's. The reason I mention it is that, if your tank strap has been "broken in" to using 80's, you may have a problem getting a snug fit on the tank. Someone else double check me on that. I remember the steel 72's and aluminum 80's fitting a little differently.

Point is, nothing is more embarassing than a tank slip and if it does it in deep water it's a serious pain to straighten out.

They are smaller, 6.9" I believe.

I go from 7.25 steels to a 6.75 Faber (ScubaPro) MP72 without problem. My BC has over 250 dives with mostly 7.25" cylinders and it deals with it just fine.

Pete

Yes 72's are a little smaller, but 95's are a little bigger... so it's just an issue you have to deal with and ajust your tank strap, or the 72's will slip. (I'm sure we've all had it happen at least once for those of us who own(ed) 72's and 80's both.)

Here is the link to Craigs List. The phone number listed shows up at UnderSea Adventures.

SCUBA Tanks, Steel 72's

~Jeff

Thanks so much! :D

If they still have some available, I'd have a blast driving to Atlanta to pick one up (never been to Atlanta before). Screw gas prices...it's time for a roadtrip!

Back
Top Bottom