Is this tank too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problems. I was contemplating picking a couple up myself, but I have too many tanks as it is :)

Have a good drive!
~Jeff

Here is the link to Craigs List. The phone number listed shows up at UnderSea Adventures.

SCUBA Tanks, Steel 72's

~Jeff

that's a pretty decent deal. They hydro is 2004, so will need it again in another year or so, but the valve appears upgrades, so no worries about an old leaking valve from a tank that hasn't been used in 20 years.

regardless, better deal than the $75 tank that needs hydro, vis, and maybe a new valve that she found originally...

Screw gas prices...it's time for a roadtrip!

says the girl that drives a Miatta.... :rofl3: (which gets great gas mileage. :D )

says the girl that drives a Miatta.... :rofl3: (which gets great gas mileage. :D )

I'm so incredibly happy that I decided to purchase another Miata instead of a truck, after I wrecked my first Miata. I was going to get an F-150, but decided against it...dodged a gas-guzzling bullet there :D

The high gas prices, unfortunately, have really cut into my monthly pilgrimage to N. Florida (mmm...spring diving!)

On that note, anyone want to carpool to Florida? (in your car, not mine :D)

Many get failed because the hydro facility does not follow the pre test round out procedure.

That's my suspicion. I haven't thrown them out yet, but I want to do a bit more research about how widely accepted this is before I find another test facility. Walking in cold with a page I printed off the Internet could make for an "interesting" conversation. :wink:

That's my suspicion. I haven't thrown them out yet, but I want to do a bit more research about how widely accepted this is before I find another test facility. Walking in cold with a page I printed off the Internet could make for an "interesting" conversation. :wink:

I gave my hydro shop (not an LDS) a copy of the procedure and they keep it on file. In any case the procedure is exactly the same as allowed by DOT as a method to do a system check for leaks before the test is preformed.

A tank that has failed hydro test requirements is supposed to be condemned and it is not supposed to be retested. That is why, if they did it properly, they are supposed to stamp “XXXX” over the DOT numbers or stamp “CONDEMNED” right on the tank and they are supposed to provide you with a written letter of the reason…and the test data if you request it.

If they did stamped the tank, it is all over for the tank unless you can show an error and then they need to replace it with a new tank. Not likely to happen, but I did accomplish it once.

If they did not stamp it then you basically got a loop hole to re-test them. You can only re-test a tank if you suspect equipment (or operator) malfunction. Obviously if it is not stamped, they have made more than one error. When re-testing, they are supposed to test at 10% higher test pressure. This is one instance where I would just take them to a different hydro facility that is more competent and would just make sure they just follow the pre-test procedure per PST. You don’t need to share any previous history on the cylinder or any incompetence of a different hydro facility…it is not a requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom