Is this normal for scuba tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noah, we'd like to keep you alive. :)

May I also recommend that for a little while you confine your posts to the subforums "New DIvers" and/or "Diving into new Gear".

Regardless, I'll take this opportunity to remind the members reading this thread and replying to Noah, whilst there's more latitude in this subforum, Scubaboard rule is still "be nice". So, yes, offer your strongest advice but dial back the abuse please.

At least he is doing stuff and not on drugs playing video games and doing nothing with his life...
He wants information give it... don't get all personal. Thats life, how to find the info you need.
he has the tank anyway and is using it..
Let him make an informed decision..

I believe people are TRYING to help him make an informed decision, but Noah seems bent on doing the opposite of what is advised. I'd say "typical young man", but my own son would actually listen to this advice and err on the side of trying to not end up dead over a poor purchase decision. Why risk death or severe injury?

I believe people are TRYING to help him make an informed decision, but Noah seems bent on doing the opposite of what is advised. I'd say "typical young man", but my own son would actually listen to this advice and err on the side of trying to not end up dead over a poor purchase decision. Why risk death or severe injury?
It is going to be very hard for SB to counter his natural inclination AND the fact his dad said it is ok (per said teen).

Risk or death..

Because if we had utopia... we would break something just to see what happens, to break the boredom.

I would buy that kit.... I always thought that hand pump with some modifications would be good pump to fill a oxygen rebreather tank when traveling 3rd world... where o2 is hard to find... find a weld shop and jack in to their o2 cylinder and pump up your small tank.

Actually, it has a stamp on it that purports to indicate that it meets European approvals. There have been problems with some cylinders from China having falsified markings. I understand that you imported it yourself from a seller in China who you do not know. How can you say with confidence that it is "approved and deemed safe?"

Actually, cylinders sold in Canada and the USA are typically approved for use in both countries.

How do you know that? This is how cylinders must be manufactured for the U.S. market.
Oh, I read on a form on this site that Canada won't take DOT tanks. It appears to me to be made of a single piece, and the walls are very thick.

My bigger concern would be a chunk of "stuff" breaking loose and clogging the valve.

Why not get the tank professionally tumbled? Unless you have a roller at home to tumble it?
This is literally all I wanted, was what should I do about the stuff on the inside, And where can I take it to have them inspect it for me, check threads, etc. I just did soap, hot water, vinegar, and brass pellets. It looks much better and nothing seems to scratch off anymore. My new DOT tank also has marks on the inside.

He is looking for confirmation that everything is OK, when it is not. The tank was manufactured in 2021, but uses markings that were long ago discarded. The Pi reference is from 2002. The tank manufacturer is likely faking the entire certification process. He is happy and looking for even more information that it appears he will either ignore, misunderstand, or twist to fit his narrative. This is a train wreck.
And this is what I mean. I find it absurd that scuba shops will just say, **** you, I'm not gonna inspect your tank or make sure that it's safe, I'm just gonna let you die from it so you learn your lesson. That's just retarded.

There's paint or something on the inside of the tank.

Personally, I don't want him breathing in any microchips of whatever it is he's been able to chip off.
As far as i can see the regulator does have a filter on it, and a fairly long filter at that, like I said, I let all the air breathe out and no particles came out, I also just washed it and there wasn't that much crud.

Back
Top Bottom