Is this mask enough for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a low profile hog mask for <$25. Like most HOG products great bang for the buck.

Get a second mask! A backup mask is a must. I have seen my mask break on a dive and other masks fall of the boat.

Gloves are illegal on Bonaire. STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park So are chemical lightsticks. I'm actually not sure if you can bring a knife either - check with your dive operator there or tour organizer.

Don't pick up any "souvenirs" (shells, coral etc.) either - even if they look dead. It's likely some animals home - or could be. Plus it's illegal anyway and will be confiscated at the airport. And please don't touch the turtles - it makes them nervous.

If you see jellyfish above you, take your alternate and blow bubbles at them. That will usually cause them to move away enough to get past them. I've personally never seen a jellyfish on Bonaire. We dove all over the island except the east side.

A hood won't do much except make your head hot. The water is going to be 82-84 degrees in summer. My normal "dive attire" is microfiber board shorts and a t-shirt. The microfiber is nice because if there's any breeze, they'll mostly dry before you sit in the truck.

If you're going to be doing repetitive dives you may want a thin wetsuit - over the week your core temperature will reduce slightly and you may feel cold. I'm never cold, my buddy who is uses either a dive skin or a 3mil wetsuit. To save money, if you get cold rent one later in the week.

The skin is a good idea, if there was any jellyfish (or sea wasps - basically the same thing) they can't sting thru it. Also it may help save some skin when you bang into the coral at the shore entry points - everybody does. And some help with sunburn protection.

Last edited:
Someone recently posted about someone getting nailed by a Bonaire box jellyfish on a night dive at a resort, where resort lights trained on the water (if I understood correctly) may've attracted them.

In 7 trips to Bonaire, I've not seen one. I occasionally get bee sting-type zaps from unseens in the water (e.g.: on exposed face), and once surge shoved my calf into some fire coral. I tend to be a 'swim trunks & a shirt' kind of guy, and seldom get cold diving.

Hard to imagine needing a hood in Bonaire. But a skin suit on the like could help keep the sun off you. Sun burn is no joke & can happen real fast down there.

Richard.

Thanks both of u.

Since snorkeling is my first love i might still do it whilst diving.

Am i better off getting a full sleeve or half sleeve dive skin?(can use this under my wet suit During diving, else i will wear it during snorkel)

Can i wear micro fiber board shorts under my 3mi wet suit? (During diving or snorkeling)

Can i wear micro fiber board shorts under my 3mi wet suit? (During diving or snorkeling)
They're just swim trunks - you need to wear something...lol.

No matter what i do i can only hover in Mid water verTically or crouching.... and never horizontally orwith my body flat.

Why is this? I was properly weighted in that Y Pool.

What kind of sunscreen lotion do i buy Here in USA for going to Bonaire for a week?

What SPF rating?

Also are there rules in Bonaire about it being biodegradable?
Thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom