Is this mask enough for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a new diver going to Bonaire with a dive club.

Already have wet suit, fins, shoes .

I have a US divers snorkel and mask set i got for snorkeling last year that worked.
That was around $50 In sports authority.
It has a purge hole below nose cover to expel water. Works good during pool dives.

Can i still use it for scuba? Or am i better off getting a bigger wider vision mask?
If yes please recommend a model.

Planning to buy a dive skin in the dive shop .Dive shop is lending regulator and BCD for Bonaire.

kris

Any mask that fits and doesn't leak will work. Just needs to be comfortable. Some people don't like purge valves some do.

If it fits, you're fine. US Divers also sells that same model mask and snorkel individually. I've seen plenty of divers wearing that same mask and snorkel, with and without the purge.

But on the other hand, I would encourage you to buy a better quality mask if you're going to stick with diving. Since the shop is nice enough to lend you gear, I would return the favor by spending the money you're saving on rental fees and buy a great mask from them. Bonaire is worth splurging on a quality mask and they're saving you about $110 a week in rentals.

Not all quality masks are expensive. I am hard to fit, and my Aqualung Seaquest Visage mask was maybe $30 online. Works as well or better than a few others I've tried.

Richard.

I can get my prefered mask for $65 at the LDS or on ebay for $20 or less so I agree that price is a poor indicator. Things you really want are, tempered glass lenses and silicone skirt and sturdy silicone strap. Clear or black is your choice, after that it's fit, fit, fit.

I wasn't equating cost to quality. I was merely emphasizing the amount of money she will be saving by borrowing gear rather than renting. For the record, my current mask was $23.50 dealer cost.

Good idea if to sign up for DAN membership before you head out to Bonaire, Kris.

Will check out DAN asap. That reminds me need to get travel and diving related insurance before i go.

So if the fit is most important (and i have a big head like a melon. ... round ie lol)
Then i should try it before i buy. Which means maybe try in LDS and buy online?
I mean I bought everything else from them. :D

I believe DAN will include Dive Alert magazine, which is good. One of our members who's checked into the matter has indicated before that of the 3 tiers of insurance, their 2'nd & 3'rd are much better deals than their 1'rst, so bear that in mind.

Richard.

P.S.: Big head? Me, too!

I wasn't equating cost to quality. I was merely emphasizing the amount of money she will be saving by borrowing gear rather than renting. For the record, my current mask was $23.50 dealer cost.

Good idea if to sign up for DAN membership before you head out to Bonaire, Kris.

I was agreeing with post 4.

You want to try the mask on in the shop and then buy on line? When the shop is already loaning you gear?!?! Poor form Kris poor form :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom