Is there room for no nonsense training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love to see him come teach thru SEI. He is the kind of instructor we look for to crossover. But to address the question originally asked. Based on the reactions of the student I had in the pool last night who trained with other instructors from another agency and met their standards there sure as hell is room for it. No nonsense does not mean no fun. What it means is that instilling pride, confidence, self reliance, and a sense of wanting to learn more as opposed to having to is very much in demand. Hell my snorkeling course is tougher than some OW courses I've seen conducted. And after explaining what it requires and the knowledge I try to pass on thru it to a guy who called me this morning I have 4 definite students for it next month. You all know what I'm going thru now. Being active and little more focused on giving my best and demanding the best from every student is what will help keep me going for a while. I thank God that there are more than just those who want quick, easy, and cheap out there.

I'd love to see him come teach thru SEI. He is the kind of instructor we look for to crossover.

Thanks Jim; I think I'd like that.

Hell my snorkeling course is tougher than some OW courses I've seen conducted.

Of that Sir I have no doubt.

You all know what I'm going thru now. Being active and little more focused on giving my best and demanding the best from every student is what will help keep me going for a while. I thank God that there are more than just those who want quick, easy, and cheap out there.

Thanks for your input Jim; your opinion is important to me. Be well my friend.

I don't know where you got the idea that I wouldn't offer certification through an Agency? I would plan on offering certifications through some or all of the agencies I've mentioned, but as Bob has already stated, I didn't want to make this about agencies.

When you said starting your training site "someplace warm," are you talking about doing something like sticking it on the south end of Florida, or are you talking about putting it on some island or resort location?

If the former, the agency is less important (though I'd argue still significant from a business perspective), if the latter, then the agency is a vital consideration precisely because the agency is going to determine your potential market segment, and that is going to have everything to do with your bottom line.

When you said starting your training site "someplace warm," are you talking about doing something like sticking it on the south end of Florida, or are you talking about putting it on some island or resort location?

I don't think Florida qualifies as a warm location. :cold: :D

Thanks for your input. Your point of agency is well-noted.

It all depends though. there are NAUI and IANTD training centers in the caribbean that seem to be doing very well. No reason why that market could not be expanded and made up of the kind of divers who want higher standards.

When I was looking at becoming a commercial diver, the first thing that I did was use the Internet to find commercial divers and commercial diving companies to ask them about what they look for in a diver, what the pay and lifestyle is like, what I could most likely expect a career to be like with my limited experience in industrial arts, and which schools they recommended, rather than simply believe the schools.

I decided that Louisiana Tech in Morgan City, LA, Seneca College in Canada, and West Coast Commercial Diving School in South Africa were my best bets at the time. In talking to the owner of WCCDS in South Africa, I learned that he did not have the intention of starting a commercial diving school. He did so out of necessity because very few of the divers that he was hiring in his business either didn't have the skills or the stamina needed for the job.

The school became a by-product of in-house training that eventually expanded into an HSE recognized school with instruction from Class IV to Class I levels. He too, was a no-nonsense guy, and a former military diver. To boost the fitness level of his divers, he had students run up and down sand dunes, climb ropes, swim, etc. While that might seem like the :inquisition: to many people, those of us who enjoy or enjoyed incredibly high levels of fitness know how much happier we are, how easy physical labor is when in great shape, and how much more motivated we can be when being at our physical best.

At the time, it was the only civilian diving school with a physical curriculum that I encountered. Today, the school in Jacksonville (or are they in Forty Fathom now?) does have a fitness program among others. Rather than be a deterrent, I was looking forward to the challenge. I also thought that a small school run by an experienced diver and one who had the forethought to have a fitness program also would have the forethought to dot all "i's" and cross all "t's" in my training. My friend, Matt, decided he wanted to go with me, so I put off training until he could afford it. During that time, the exchange rate between the USD and the Rand became less favorable after Bush was elected and we couldn't afford the school. The other positive for the Cape Town area was the surfing. The owner told me to bring my board since the school was isolated, but near great surf.

Today, I'm still not a commercial diver, but I still want to undergo commercial diver training for my own growth and experience. (Hint. Hint.)

While commercial diving training isn't exactly the focus of the thread, taking myself back to the point of being a prospective student the most important considerations were:

1) Which schools were affordable?

Students obviously cannot attend a school which they cannot afford, so no matter the quality and reputation, cost vs. benefit is a huge consideration for most students. If a school were created that offered quality training at an affordable price, there would be interest even if training was known or advertised to be demanding.

2) Which schools would prepare me for the realities of entry level work?

While some commercial diving schools offered more training and lots of patches, I discovered that much of my training wouldn't apply as an entry level diver/tender. I would need to be retrained again later OTJ. Patches look pretty on the wall, but where it counts is in the water. With that in mind, an instructor with a cert from any agency would be highly competitive against the prettiest patches with officially recognized training in the following:

- Marine diesel mechanics
- Compressor repair and maintenance
- Seamanship & Captain's licenses
- Professional rescue training and EMT training
- Thorough rescue training and experience (Many dive pros today are not trained to rescue technical divers - especially those in rebreathers. A dive professional who could be certified as a USLA level lifeguard, EMT, and in technical rescue like PSAI's TEAM program is more qualified to meet the demands of helping a wider range of dive travelers.)
- The ability to teach high quality courses in a fast-paced environment
- Sales, customer service & public relations skills
- Underwater photo, video and editing skills
- Light commercial diving abilities such as hull cleaning, buoy & dock maintenance, changing props, etc.

If a student could emerge from a school with a solid mechanical skills, seamanship, the fitness and training to deal with all medical and rescue situations at the first response level, the ability to retain quality education in a resort environment, emerge in possession of great customer service and relations etiquette, be able to use film for both training feedback and for revenue generation, as well as knowing how to safely do underwater maintenance, that student would be better prepared for the job.

3) Location and housing?

Obviously, the warmer and more paradise-like the better! The biggest drawback to housing is that it is either "dorm style" reminiscent of Hogan's Heroes like Dixie Divers in Ft. Pierce was or too expensive or inconvenient. I know a place in warm water that would be perfect to convert to a dive training resort that is not being used and would include housing equal to that of a hotel or motel on-site. Comfortable private rooms or rooms with two beds would go a long way against some of the competition.

4) Fees and course structure?

All-inclusive meals, materials, training, housing and pricing with no hidden or added fees would really help. I thought about becoming a PADI instructor to "live the dream" a couple of times and thought about attending either Dixie Divers or Pro Dive, but I was put off by the fees at Dixie Divers and the confusion of course cost and selection at Pro Dive. A simple program with an easy course and time track that everyone would undergo would be far more attractive than trying to choose from a menu and trying to figure out if you are being up-sold. If a student opens your training program and sees, "This is what you will learn. This is why you are going to learn it. This is how long it will take. This is where you will live and the amenities provided. This is how much it will cost and not a penny more," he or she will feel far more confident about taking the career and financial plunge.

If a student opens your training program and sees, "This is what you will learn. This is why you are going to learn it. This is how long it will take. This is where you will live and the amenities provided. This is how much it will cost and not a penny more," he or she will feel far more confident about taking the career and financial plunge.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. At this point I'm considering my options. Obviously I need to be comfortable in the direction. Thanks for your input Trace.

PS I helped a guy by the name of Bob Landry set-up the training program at Seneca. I'm glad you considered it an acceptable school. :)

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. At this point I'm considering my options. Obviously I need to be comfortable in the direction. Thanks for your input Trace.

PS I helped a guy by the name of Bob Landry set-up the training program at Seneca. I'm glad you considered it an acceptable school. :)

Cool! Was training in underwater demolition your idea? Or, is that standard training for commercial diving schools in Canada? I thought that would be worth the higher cost of Seneca compared to LA Tech and WCCDS.

Are you thinking about doing both sport & commercial diver training if you open for business or just sport diver training at this point?

Cool! Was training in underwater demolition your idea? Or, is that standard training for commercial diving schools in Canada? I thought that would be worth the higher cost of Seneca compared to LA Tech and WCCDS.

Are you thinking about doing both sport & commercial diver training if you open for business or just sport diver training at this point?

I guess that was my fault. :) Most recently it hasn't been routinely integrated into training and its use has really dwindled in the industry. Ex-Navy Divers however love to blow-up things.

The shear cost of setting-up a commercial training center puts me off. I've gone that route before when I had a commercial school and don't see it as something that I'd want to invest in during retirement. I'm thinking serious sport diver training may fit the bill, but I'd be up for deep submersibles as well. Know of any investors? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom