Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Equipment failures are rare, but do happen. Losing your buddy isn't acceptable. Search for a minute then up you go. If you can't do a CESA, you're not rec diving and need proper redundancy.
Rec diving can be to 130 ft. Nobody in their right mind would try a cesa from that depth if they had an alternative. A pony bottle is redundancy and there is nothing improper about it.

Rec diving can be to 130 ft. Nobody in their right mind would try a cesa from that depth if they had an alternative. A pony bottle is redundancy and there is nothing improper about it.
A smart diver limits it to 100’ because of narcosis and gas density.

PfcAj you have the good fortune of being able to dive with other well qualified divers. Not everyone does

I've been buddied up on boats with people who are either a) clueless, b) don't give **** all about staying together, and c) both. This is common for people who aren't part of a long-term dive team or married to another diver or whatever.

I would not want to try a CESA at the end of a dive to NDLs at 100 feet or more. Then again I'd bring doubles on such a dive if I could. I've been on dives like that where doubles weren't an option, though.
Option #1 - Don’t Dive.

A smart diver limits it to 100’ because of narcosis and gas density.
LOL. A smart diver decides if this makes any sense and doesn't just parrot the kool-aid. :)

Why would one clip their donate? Mines on a 7 foot hose with no clip while wet.
If I'm diving from a small boat, I want to clip off my long hose before handing my rig up.

I solo dive sometimes and tend to have conservative practices in general(more so when I'm alone) I'm looking into getting a pony bottle, not to rely on but for peace of mind just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom