Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my pony for a redundant air supply "just in case". I know many scoff at a little 19 cu ft pony, especially the tech divers. But the way I see it, I'm not a tech diver, I'm a rec diver and ANY air is better than no air if an o-ring blows or if I do the shame-able and end up with an OOA situation.

Inexperienced OW divers who say the PADI wreck diver course is a waste-of-time marketing scam just to grab money.
I've dived countless wrecks in my 700 dive history, I always carry a pony on my deeper, penetration dives, along with all the other required gear for solo diving. I use a wreck reel when necessary, I do proper finning to avoid siltout and employ numerous other strategies to ensure my safety and that of anyone diving with me. This was all learned by experience, and research. I never took the PADI Wreck diving course, I believe it's a money grab like most of the other PADI subspecialties. And even the "better" courses are often ruined by subpar instructors, I've seen it too many times to count.

I've dived countless wrecks in my 700 dive history, I always carry a pony on my deeper, penetration dives, along with all the other required gear for solo diving. I use a wreck reel when necessary, I do proper finning to avoid siltout and employ numerous other strategies to ensure my safety and that of anyone diving with me. This was all learned by experience, and research. I never took the PADI Wreck diving course, I believe it's a money grab like most of the other PADI subspecialties. And even the "better" courses are often ruined by subpar instructors, I've seen it too many times to count.
I'm not saying you "must" go to PADI to learn to wreck dive. But most of us aren't born a wreck diver. It's a fool who says he can't learn anything from a course, no matter how poor the course might be. Heck, I even learned something from the PADI "Boat Diver" course.

I've been diving for 25 years now, have dived most all the wrecks within recreational limits in NC, never taken a wreck diver course. Like you, I'm pretty confident I can do it without dying. But I will say I bet there's something in PADI's wreck diver course I would learn, that I don't know, that would make me a better/safer wreck diver.

"experientia stultorum magistra" ~ Experience is the teacher of fools. :)

Non dico te "debet" ire ad PADI ut discat naufragium dare. Sed plerique non ex naufragio diver nati sunt. Stultus est qui dicit se ex cursu nihil discere posse, quamvis sit cursus pauper. Heck, etiam aliquid didici ex Padi "Navis Saxonia" cursum.

25 annos iam tribuo, omnia naufragia intra ludicras limites in NC deieci, numquam naufragium emensus sum. Amo te, satis confido id sine mori posse. Sed dicam me aliquid esse in naufragio Padi in diverso cursu discerem, quod nescio, quod me meliorem naufragium tutiorem faceret.

I'm not saying you "must" go to PADI to learn to wreck dive. But most of us aren't born a wreck diver. It's a fool who says he can't learn anything from a course, no matter how poor the course might be. Heck, I even learned something from the PADI "Boat Diver" course.

I've been diving for 25 years now, have dived most all the wrecks within recreational limits in NC, never taken a wreck diver course. Like you, I'm pretty confident I can do it without dying. But I will say I bet there's something in PADI's wreck diver course I would learn, that I don't know, that would make me a better/safer wreck diver.

How foolish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom