Is there a public use mooring ball at the Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It runs hard in both directions depending on the gyre.
I would have thought that the Florida Current dominates, and any eddying would be short lived and certainly not take you to Cuba.

I would have thought that the Florida Current dominates, and any eddying would be short lived and certainly not take you to Cuba.
Nope, it won’t take you to Cuba, but it will take you to key west channel and make your dive miserable.

They don’t really enforce it Ken. I wanted to let the OP know that he can’t camp on it as an overnight mooring, although no one would care. But morning, when all 6 passenger dive boats are there, they will sneer at a private boat. No one will care in you get on at 0700 and gone by 0900, or if you come back on after 1200, you can stay forever.

But if they did, they patrol most days, if FWC doesn’t, Coast Guard does, and if they don’t, you might get a visit from a NOAA courtesy vessel.
Not looking for an overnight mooring, its way too exposed anyway. I'd either head back to my slip at Stock Island, or drop the hook somewhere like Woman Key or similar depending on wind/seas.

Frankly I don't care if they sneer at me, they're on a much less capable boat someone else owns that costs less than mine and is probably mortgaged lol and they can sneer at my bare behind pointed in their direction, bowl of fruit and all!

I care if FWC or USCG or someone will fine me or some other enforcement action, or if someone will sabotage me or damage my vessel by trying to raft up with me without permission.

I've dived there before, but not recently, and don't remember any significant current, thanks for the heads up on that.

I know FKNMS maintains public used mooring balls but didn't see anything for the Van.

I don't carry a compressor, so likely 1 or 2 recreational dives. I'm getting out of technical diving and really don't carry all of that gear on board, its just too much bother.

Not looking for an overnight mooring, its way too exposed anyway. I'd either head back to my slip at Stock Island, or drop the hook somewhere like Woman Key or similar depending on wind/seas.

Frankly I don't care if they sneer at me, they're on a much less capable boat someone else owns that costs less than mine and is probably mortgaged lol and they can sneer at my bare behind pointed in their direction, bowl of fruit and all!

I care if FWC or USCG or someone will fine me or some other enforcement action, or if someone will sabotage me or damage my vessel by trying to raft up with me without permission.

I've dived there before, but not recently, and don't remember any significant current, thanks for the heads up on that.

I know FKNMS maintains public used mooring balls but didn't see anything for the Van.

I don't carry a compressor, so likely 1 or 2 recreational dives. I'm getting out of technical diving and really don't carry all of that gear on board, its just too much bother.
Are you in KW? I am in the process of moving here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom