Info Warning about using phone charging stations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diving often means traveling through airports, and we're forever charging our devices. We always look for electrical outlets to use our own 'bricks' and cables, and when we can't find them we use our backup battery - so this article doesn't affect us much. But I'm sure there are many who use the charging stations with USB ports to charge their devices. Might be at risk for malware.

I also prefer using my own charger, but I've had one of these for a while (not from here, that was just the first google hit I found) https://www.cybercenteronline.com/product/usb-syncstop-security-adapter/. The theory is that it blocks the data ports from the charging station and just allows power to flow.
This is a good reminder to start carrying it again, I think it's at the bottom of my old backpack.

This is not a new concern. We *never* plug into the 5V outlets except for our own, in our house. "Just because you're paranoid," etc. The data blocking adapters and cables also work.

Below is a slide from my "No Cells" slide set that explores negative aspects of wireless radiation

(132 slides, 18 meg) created to justify banning cell phones in class ... raised % A+B's by 20% (from 71 to 91).

DataBlock.jpg

The data blocker in lower right of image is available at

Jeez. Just use a USB cable that is charging only.

I just always use the USB-electrical adapter and plug into outlet, as unattended little kids can put goo in those usb chargers and yuckify my usb port. Electric plug are easier to clean.

Jeez. Just use a USB cable that is charging only.
The recommendation from the article/tweet is: "Carry your own charger and USB cord and use an electrical outlet instead." I guess the USB is where they put the malware? I'm winging it here but I do have a healthy bit of paranoia (or maybe it's unhealthy?)

The recommendation from the article/tweet is: "Carry your own charger and USB cord and use an electrical outlet instead." I guess the USB is where they put the malware? I'm winging it here but I do have a healthy bit of paranoia (or maybe it's unhealthy?)
To put malware on your computer requires using the data lines in most of the cables. But some cables have no data lines...so they are copletely safe; all you get is power.Cables that come with battery charges, for example. are often power-only.
I've noticed that some airlines provide a USB port for charging, but no electrical outlet.

I have to grant permission to do anything OTHER than charge when I plug in a data-capable cable. This has been the case on my various Android phones for more than a decade.
Screenshot_2023-04-11-12-24-27-68_b783bf344239542886fee7b48fa4b892~2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom